Aquariums

S

Stu Black

Anyone know of a place where i can buy british freshwater species for an aquarium?

K

Ken Stevens

try a place a place called world of water they have 17 sites all around the country that where i got mine from they do roach,bream,tench,commom,mirror,goust,koi and grass carp and sturgeon

thier web site is www.worldofwater.com or email = direct@worldofwater.com

tel=01580243333

T

The Monk

Hi Stu

Yes Kens right

indeed many garden centre now stock cold water fish, I have tench, carp, rudd and loach, and sturgeon in my ponds at present

T

The Monkey

One ? for you sir monk why for you have sturgeon in your pond(s) or are your pool(s) large enough for these fish when fully grown?.

T

The Monk

I have 4 ponds in the garden Monkey, one, the larger one, contains a Siberian stugeon and a Sterlet (the girl friends idea), in theory these stugeon should only grow according to the size of the environmet in which they in habit, should they sow signs of outgrowing the pond, however, I will simply move them on. Stugeon, a number of varieties, are now readily available in many garden centres and many, like goldfish, have now found their way into british fisheries. A good example of this is Rocky, who lives in the Motorway complex. I don`t agree with the introduction of no indiginous species behing introduced into British waters, because apart from the illegality of it, it does/can create numerous ecological.

Then again many species of problems fish available in British waters are non-endemic

T

The Monkey

My local garden centres sell them so i asked if they vet customers to see if there pools are of adequate size the reply i got was we are licened to sell them. like the cat fish buy them small grow to big to fast so they dump them in the local ponds.

K

Ken Stevens

I agree with you monk the stugeon should only grow to the size of it's environment the same as any fish will

a word of warning to people who wish to keep stugeon gold fish food is no good for stugeon because it is plant based and stugeon need fishmeal based food

ive got 1 stugeon 4 carp 6 roach 4 bream 3 tench and about 25 goldfish in my pond and i feed a mixed food flake and floating pellets for the carp goldfish and others and a fishmeal based pellett for the stugeon snice ive had the stugeon in my pond all my other fish have grown big ive put this down to them feeding on the fish meal pellett too has i have seen them eat this before the other food

Before someone says ive got tomany fish my pond is large

T

The Monk

generally Monkey, fish sellers are only intersted in profits

Ethics sadly don`t help balance sheets
(or certainly not directly anyway)

I would point out though, that Herons have a particular liking for sturgeon and as sturgeon do spend a lot of time on the surface, they do lend themselves to excellent readily available caviar!

Ken, I feed all my fish on trout pellets and chum mixers and they appear healthy enough, probably not the best diet for them though?

T

The Monkey

If water quality is good and a good sorce of food sturgeon, koi and cat fish will grow regardless of the size of there enviroment. I have got a 3000 gallon pool but I would'nt have a sturgeon knowing they can outgrow some pools.

K

Ken Stevens

monk if i remeber correctly trout pellets are fishmeal based a lot of my left over bait goes in my pond maggots casters ground bait the lot when i want to try a new boilie to see how fish react i get a pack of 10mm and try them in my pond it does give you a bit of a head start when you know how the fish react to your bait the same applys when i try a new groudbait mix

T

The Monkey

PS I feed my koi on kingsmill wholemeal they love it and they are in top condition.

K

Ken Stevens

monkey you say you would'nt have stugeon becase the can out grow your pond but the same can be said for any fish you put in a poud

T

The Monkey

ken yes it is true but theres always somone who will take large koi but not sturgeon that is why they end up illegally dumped in ponds.

K

Ken Stevens

yes good point the stugeon i have is a sterlet i did look into the size it could grow to before i brought it and i found out it is the smallest of the stugeon family only grow to a max of 6 ft in about 10 years only time will tell if what i found out was true mine is just over a year old and is about 12=14 inches in size

T

The Monk

the Romans where sods for dumping fish in ponds

it was them who probably first dumped carp on our shores!

K

Ken Stevens

i'am not sure it was the romans who brought the carp over here but i do know the monks ketp them in the 17 centry for food

T

The Monk

the Roman definately brought them over here prior to my ancestors Ken

T

The Monk

yeah, their all right the old carp mate,
I think carp angling en masse though has taken a lot of the mystery out of the sport though.

when I was a lad, carp in my local waters where an unknown quantity

now everybody knows them and they all have names

T

The Monk

very few people fished for them in the late sixties and early seventies, and very little was written about them, all adding to the mystic