Scales

G

Gary Knowles

I am in the market for a new set of scales and am looking for advice.

Currently I have a set of 40lb Avons and Waymaster 12lb for the smaller species and both are now a bit battered.

I have recently been thinking about buying some of the new digital scales but am concerned as I don't really look after my gear too well and my scales usually end up in the bottom of my rucksack full of mud and grit. I assume this would be the kiss of death for digitals.

As it stands I'll probably go with the Mk 7 40lb x 1oz Avons but would welcome any thoughts of people who have the new digital ones. Makes, prices, etc. would also be usefull.

Also for those who have used both - which do you prefer, and why ?

Once again, thanks in advance.....

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've got Salter digital scales and I don't look after my gear either. I've had them for about 12 months and had no problems. The retail price is about ?85. The advantage of digi's is that they're usually (but not always) more accurate and you don't have that needle flickering like you do with a spring balance. They weigh to within a half ounce too, which isn't so important with the bigger species, but could be if it was a dace. They also convert by press button from pounds to kilos for those who prefer metric.

Also, a spring on any spring balance is likely to get weaker in time and the accuracy suffer, so unless you have them checked regularly you could be weighing fish inaccurately.

There is always a chance that the electronics in digis will suffer from dampness and the batteries will let you down sometime, but it's not happened to me yet.

Some anglers, the more traditional amongst us, just like to see the needle on a spring balance. Me, I like electronic toys so that was a big plus point for me.

C

Carp Angler

I saw the digi scales in operation last week and have to say they are amazingly easy to read, even in the dark, or should I say especially in the dark.
No more of that buggering about counting lines upto a wavering needle in the dark.

If I had spare cash and was in the market for a set I would go for digital ones straight away.

Anyone want to buy an unused set of Reubens?

A

Andy Blessett

I've not seen digital scales on sale in my local area, or in mail order outlets either. Can anyone please tell me where I can get some?

P

Philip Inzani

I am also looking for a new set of scales and was seriously thinking about the Digital?s but then I heard some bad reports about the accuracy.

...Graham, (or anyone else who uses them) did you do any tests on the accuracy ? I noticed you where quite careful about saying they are not always as accurate.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Phil, I've heard some bad reports too, hence my comments. But only about a cheaper brand that I haven't had personal experience of. So I can only speak from experience of the Salters I bought, and my pal bought a set at the same time. We tested both on a known weight and they were both accurate.

P

Philip Inzani

Thanks Graham ....what do they weigh up to ? (well you have to dream don't you!)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Salter Weigh-Tronix Electro Samson. They weigh up to 55lb in 1/2oz divisions or 25kg in 20g divisions. They come in a tough carry case with a T-Bar.

Bernard at DDI has scales to 100lb so don't worry about when you go there!