Air Drying Boilies

N

Nick Austin

hi just wondering if anyone on here has any experience of Boilie making...Iv'e been making my own for a couple of years,but usually i use them as i make them so theyr'e not hanging around for too long. This year i air dried a bag full a while back, and so i now have a couple of kilo's of ROCK HARD boilies. My question is are they any good?....do they go off?....they smell fantastic (source),and as i HAND ROLLED each one individually, i really dont want to throw them away?....any comments?..

B

Budgie Burgess

Work great,last for ages if you dont let them get damp.A lot of people just reboil and redry them if they get a bit of mildew on them.I prefer not to get them damp in the first place as I feel the reboiling can damage the flavours.Once fully dried (time depends on the mix)I store mine in sealed Plastic buckets which I vaccum seal with a small device called a "Pump&seal" brought of one of the shopping channels.Had a bait that I stoped using in the UK for about 4 years and used it up in France and caught ok.Keep the containers out of bright sun light though.

N

Nick Austin

Thanks Budgie,great news, like i said, they smell great, but i was worried that the egg content would go off.....i'm pleased cos the shop bought source boilies are pretty soft, whereas these are really hard!

Kim Mathiasen

Reaction score
Another good trick is to dry the boilies for a day or two and the put them in a bucket(that has a tight lid) and cover the boilies with sugar or salt. This drags the water out of the boilies, but not the flavour. The boilies get pretty hard, but are still kind of bouncy. And the sugar "goo" that is on the boilie is great for dry-boosting with fishmeal og whatever. Just remember to turn the bucket upside down once in awhile.

This way you can just put the boilies in a corner and you don't need a freezer or anything.

M

michael rouse

rock hard boilies keep those baitrobbing crayfish away.....or so im told.i tried air drying boilies with freezer baits,they went off.

C

Cakey

Michael dont air dry them,I put mine in the dry type of trout pellet.

A

andrew jackson

I use an old carp sack and just hang it in a dry place. Every so often I will just give the sack a little shake to roll the baits around just in case any moisture starts to build up where they touch. The other method I like when I intend fishing baits in a PVA bag with trout pellets, is to dry out the baits and then store them in a bucket with my pellets.
I would be tempted to use your rock hard baits as hookers, then prebait with normal Scorce. Personaly I like my free offerings to be soft as they leak their attraction quicker.