Radio 5 Anti-Angling Broadcast

D

Davy North

I didn't hear the broadcast Graham mentioned, and in some ways I'm glad I didn't. To hear two well respected, educated and articulate anglers unfairly shot down by a pair of radio half wits would be more than I could take. However I can imagaine the kind of ill-informed tosh after hearing Chris Evens and his hangers on comment on anti angling day a few years back.
It's easy to dismiss this kind of thing, but it worries me. In fact I think it can do more damage than a whole army of anti's.
The utra trendy world of TV and radio production will be a place where the anti's message will find support, not from any moral stand point, but just to look "right on" and "PC". I remember an interview with radio DJ Bruno Brooks, who is a keen angler. He admitted it is hard for people in the media who fish to own up to it for this very reason.

The worst kind of program in my view are the Rolf Harris vet type thing, of which they are many. I cringe as old Rolf with sad eyes looks over the cuddly woodly animals, knowing any minute now we are going to see a swan tangled in fishing line or with a hook in its beak. Don't disgard your tackle would be the answer here, but it's still not a level playing field. The now famous episopde with the ill sawn, cut open to reveal, shock horror anglers lead shot proved that. The shot was obviously uncut shotgun pellets, and the fact that lead shot had been outlawed years still didn't figure. Still the general public, if you excuise the pun will have swallowed it hook line and sinker.

I know I'm going one a bit but it does worry me. The public may not be willing to take on board the rantings of an over zealous anti, but if things like this are "on the telly", or the radio then it must be true. The fact that I'm not sure how you combat these things bothers me as well, as the bias radio program proved, in their world they hold all the trump cards.
Last week the Angling Times asked what are the chances of a classic program like "A Passion For Angling" being made for terrestrial TV now. I would say very slim, but how much do we need something that can show the general public the true face of angling.

M

Malcolm Bason

I didn't hear the programme either, but i have just emailed them with my thoughts on this - nothing over the top, but to the point!

J

john conway

What we need to know is when such programs are going to be broadcast or if FishingMagic could publish a transcript of the broadcast. Then using our numbers we could drop in a few thousand letters to BBC and complain about any inaccuracies or unbalanced arguments.

M

Malcolm Bason

Good idea John! We could at least be doing something positive! What we could really do with is an insider who could let us know BEFORE these programmes are aired!!! :)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
John and Malcolm

E-mails were sent to the BBC immediately following the broadcast and they did at least acknowledge them, which is at least something where the BBC are concerned.

M

Malcolm Bason

Sorry Graham - I was responding to davy north's posting and I initially failed to notice the original date of the article!!! :)

M

Martin James

Take a listen to At The Waters Edge Thursday evenings 7-30pm BBC Radio Lancashire 95.5 103.9 or 104.5FM It can be picked up in many parts of Cheshire Staffordshire Cumbria Yorkshire Mersyside North Wales and Lancashire its all good angling NO Anti's Cheers Martin