What boilie mixes for winter

D

Denis Goulding

Hi all,
The carp lake i had been fishing has been revamped, so my carp fishing has ceased for the time being and we are awaiting a new stock of fish to arrive.These fish will be fed on pellet for a month before we are let loose on them.
What bolie mixes brand names and flavours would u use for winter fishing if u had to pick one, just one, i am going to start to roll my own as i intend to do a lot of carping this winter as i will be a baliff on this water i will have to be there 3-4 times a week.
I wouls appreciate any help at all..
Is there such a mix as a trout pellet boilie mix..

Regards
Denis

D

Dave Rothery

use whatever you've used all summer, just less of it. goto HERE for a trout pellet recipe. go easy on the fish oils for winter.

B

Budgie Burgess

"New stock of fish","fed on trout pellets for a couple of weeks"!!!!!!!!!might as well come and fish in my bait tanks!

D

Denis Goulding

Dave,
Thanks for your help will have a go at the pellet recipe.
Regards,
Denis

Budgie,
Well it might sound so easy to you but there will only be less than 100 more fish added to the say 150-200 carp( we do not know how many of the original stock the herons, otters and cormorants have taken ) in the lake.
I admit i am fairly new to the carp game but have been fishing for 23 of my 28 years . Obviously pellets would be the way to go, but some of these fish are big uns, i was just wondering if any boilies mixes work better than others, will they stay on a certain boilie mix longer than others..
Just wondering thats all, i do not want to insult experienced carp men with silly ?'s but i am just trying toi learn and i am not looking for secret recipes or easy answers..There would be no fun in figuring out why the fish come onto your bait and then all of a sudden not take it all then.I am just looking for guidelines..

Regards
Denis

B

Budgie Burgess

Only pulling your leg Dennis!TP boillies fished over TP's is a real productive method.Keep your baiting nice and tight this time of year.Good luck with your Carping.And before you ask Dave NO! I wont put your name on the waiting list for my bait tanks syndicate!! and you realy thought Cakey was in France?

D

Denis Goulding

Budgie,
Thanks mate, presume u are fishing these hard on the bottom.Thanks for the advice.

Regards,
Denis

B

Budgie Burgess

I have got a long standing theory about the presentation of boilies,in fact all subsurface carp baits.This is based on hundreds of hours of watching carp feed in their natural habitat and not aquariums! When feeding carp dont/cant(?) target specific items of food they merely suck up all in the general area.Due to this I always critically balance my baits so that they have as near to a neutral bouyancy as possible.I believe that if a carp is sucking up food near my bait that my bait and hook will be inadvertantly taken into the carps mouth wether it wants it or not!The only "proof"I have that this is correct is the fact that I have been able to watch fish take my bait in this manner a couple of times.Some people say that this presentation is so unnatural that it will spook the carp! They obviously havnt seen carp feeding close up!!Give it a go you cant loose anything.The bait can either be a critically balanced bottom bait or critically balanced popup dont seem to mater.I caught one of my best fish from Collinbrook on a critically balanced hook with only black beads and small black poly balls on it,fished over a bed of hemp.Works great over beds of pellet too.

D

Denis Goulding

Budgie,
I can see where if a hook bait is critically balanced and the fish are milling around on a bed of feed that they can hoover your hook bait up without knowing it.Sounds good anyhow.
Like the theory will try it once the lake opens again.
What size tp boilie and hook would u use for fishing over a bede of tp..
By critically balancing your hook bait i presume u mean that there is virtually no weight in the boilie or do u mean boilie and hook, compensate with foam for the boilie and the hook.

Regards,
Denis

B

Budgie Burgess

Not that worried about what size boillie I use tend to keep it about 16-18mm.The whole package of hook and bait needs to be balanced so neither hook or bait size really matters,use what you are confident in.I use cork balls with popups and fine tune the counter weight(shot with tungsten putty).With bottom baits I use a cork ball that is near enough perfect in size(trial and error Im afraid)then fine tune with small shot on the hair slide into bait.Obviousley the bouyancy of a real bait will change slightly due to being in water over a period of time.(Still works though)Due to this artificial baits (like my "hemp" beads and polyballs) and nuts work better than boillies.In theory an artificial boillie eg a painted cork ball would work just as well but I have never had the bottle to go all the way.In fact taking it to extremes a bare but critically balanced hook would be just as effective!over a large bed of bait anyway!!