Disney letter - think again

EsoxBlades

Reaction score
Dear Charles

Whilst the passion is clear, the reaction seems unbalanced - reacting to this kind of stunt only condemns us further. Do you really think that Disney will put anglers ahead of kids? All the Disney shareholders in the world will disagree with you, as will the kids, if you want to enforce that for our future - you will achieve resentment not education. Suggest there are more options, like there is more than one way to catch a fish.

As a director it would be expected to evaluate the options, of which engaging Disney seems not to have been evaluated for its' risk.

Sincere regards
Conrad Giles

Bill McCue

Reaction score
Greetings, from the other side of the pond. I've been an avid fisherman for 40 years. I have 4 grandkids and am certainly concerned about the radical exposure that some special interest groups are gaining.

On the 10th of October www.ananova.com published a story about a claim from PETA that they won the right to use the characters from "Finding Nemo". Incidently we rented the movie and watched it with the children that weekend.

I'm of the opinion that Disney deserves the spotlight on this deal for a number of reasons. On or about the 10th of October a spokesperson from ESPN (cable TV owned by Disney, also the owner of B.A.S.S the largest fishing organization in the USA) stated that Disney did not authorize the use of characters from "Finding Nemo" to PETA.

Imagine just how quickly the Disney lawyers would be hammering us if we were to proceed with an advertising campaign involving the unauthorized use of any of their characters.

We waited until the 16th of October for some concrete action from Disney before producing a petition,

www.petitiononline.com

We the authors feel there is a degree of explanation due from Disney and have expressed our feelings as best we can. We solicit all fishermen to pay heed to what is going on and support the petition.

By the way, there has been no action from Disney as of the date of this post.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I urge you all to read the Ananova story and then sign the petition.

If Peta continue to enlist the association of more huge organisations like Disney we will have a massive battle on our hands. Let's do what we can NOW, at least by signing this petition.

W

Wolfman Woody

What's the difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney?

Bing sings and Walt Disney! Eh! Eh! Its a Scottish joke.

Sign the form everyone lets put these PETA people in their place.

Bill McCue

Reaction score
Thanks for the support folks, our cause is building slowly slowly but successfully. We have received word from fishermen, hunters, dog breeders, trappers, farmers, etal. Now if you would be so kind as to share the petition with other sites you visit then the expotential growth will swell the ranks.

Just copy and paste my original message or email me through my profile for a first run message.

Bill McCue

Reaction score
Quote:

BASS Refutes PETA Claim 10/15/2003 According to BASS/ESPN Outdoors communications director George McNeilly: "The Walt Disney Co. did not grant permission to PETA to use the Finding Nemo characters." Unless something else comes to light, enough said on the matter.

Response:

I don't know about the rest of you folks but in my estimation there has been a few billion candlepower shone on this subject. When do you think we'll hear from Disney? - Directly, this time or at least the responsible affiliated company!

The petition is slated to run until March. Do you think this will give them enough time to respond. My grandkids are asking too.

McQ

ps: http://www.petitiononline.com/msp1234/

C

Chris Bishop

Shows they can't gain publicity any other way so who cares.

When desperate, infringe a trademark and get sued, so it ends up all over the papers and your claims get aired.

All we're doing is fuelling the fire.

Is anyone seriously going to come away from Finding Nemo and become an anti-angling activist..?

I don't think so.

Look at how the hoo-hah over the dog with hook in its mouth got the image over all the papers.

They never intended to have a billboard campaign in the UK, but it made all the nationals for a couple of days, free advertising worth megabucks.

You'd do much better keeping an eye on your local council and making sure some ban on fishing the municipal park lake isn't on the cards.

I think the US guys play straight into their hands and help them maximise the publicity, I really do.

At the end of the day if the media think no-one's interested in something, it's a dead duck.

But if they think this'll get a load of people up in arms about something, it makes the news agenda.