What Carp Rods?

D

Dave Rogerson

Well thats it for this year, no more serious Tenching till next year unless our weather becomes milder again!

Have decided to give winter carping a go but my usual Tenching rods at 1.5lbs TC are probably a bit light.

Need to purchase 2 faily cheap 2.5lbs TC Carping rods but not too sure which ones to go for.

What do you advise as have a budget of about ?100 for the pair.

Will be able to use my usual reels and end tackle with heavier line so thse are not a problem. There seems to be a lot of cheaper Carp Rods on the market but this has not been my interest over the last 20 years or so although a lot of the tactics and rigs for Tenching seem to have been borrowed or nicked from you Carp Fishermen!

Your advice etc will be most appreciated and look forward to your replies.

S

Stuart Bullard

Hi Dave - I am interested in this question because there seems to be a fascination with big heavy duty rods. I can understand if it is required for chucking heavy weights miles into the distance, but how often will you be doing that?

I landed my biggest (22lb) on a basic 1.5tc when I first took up fishing and had no problems at all. Todays rods are much stronger and powerful.

OK - if you are after the monsters only, or fishing tight to snags and casting miles, but are you? If not I'd spend the money on something else.

I would be interested in other views as I'm no expert.

Rontroversial Clay ??

D

Dave Rothery

1.5 Tc will be fine unless using heavy leads or chucking pva bags.

rods may seem more "powerful" these days, but the materials are much better. my 3lb test rods have a better action then my old 2 1/2s, but then i do use method/pva bags a lot so needed someting with a bit of ooomph.

W

Wolfman Woody

I agree on the Fox Warriors, great value by the look of them.

G

goff dyer

Iv'e got a pair of warriors 2.75 tc, to me they are just right for my feeder fishing.
And for the price i cant fault them.

M

michael rouse

tfg by matt hayes.45 quid .2.5lb test but quite thin .

shakespeare contender carp 20 quid.

B

Budgie Burgess

I agree with what Dave has posted.Save your dough for something you really need.

C

Cakey

They are in carp talk now or you can read ad at top of this page

C

Cakey

Roto
I got four Johnson Ross Oblivions hand built by Vic Gibson using Harrison blanks,they are two and half test curve,nine months old and cost me over ?500.
I want ?200 the lot,never has there been such a bargain in the carp world !

G

Gary Knowles

Look at the Matt Hayes TFG rods.

The intruder carp is a cracking rod especially when you consider the price tag. I had a good look through the range in my local tackle shop the other day. Great looks, finish, etc.

Cant really go wrong for the money...