Making a fishing Rod How ???

S

Stephen Mc Cormack

Noticed somebody elses thread in the game fishing section enquiring about blanks. I have had this idea to build myself a nice weight 4-5 fly rod for some small river fly fishing. But the only thing is I've never done anything remotely like this before.
So how do i go about starting in to this. I've looked up a few different books on the subject but have yet to buy a book never mind blanks or rings or such like. So any general advice would be greatfully appreciated.
I think this would give me a greater understanding of how a fly-rod works and also give me a better understanding of the mechanics behind casting and open up a whole lot more understanding of what is actually going on when I'm fishing.

B

Budgie Burgess

Nothing hard at all about rod building.I think some of my old "Tackle Workshop" articles on this site covered the basics of "Whipping" and building handles.Any other more specific questions please feel free to post or contact me directly.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=1019&SP=&v=1>Tackle Workshop - whipping a female ferrule</a>

C

Chris Bishop

Have a root around second-hand bookshops, local library etc - used to loads of books on doing it.

Dead easy to whip rings on, all the components are readily available.

Years ago people used to make rods, these days they're so cheap few of us bother.

S

Stephen Mc Cormack

Thanks will have a look at the articles,thanks for the help.