Calling all Predator Anglers!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Here's a new section for all predator anglers. Please use this section to post about all recognised true predators: pike, perch, eels, zander and catfish.

M

Martin Quadling

The "powers that be" finally listened to you then Graham.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
They're wonderful and all powerful - and they might be listening........

S

Stewart Bloor

Good idea Graham, but can we have a section for Blankers?

S

Stewart Bloor

By the way, is that anglers who fish for predators..or anglers who are predators..if so, I can nominate a few....hey, I'm outa here now, promise not to fool around on this section again....

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
A section for blankers? I'm just wondering who would head that.........

R

Ron Clay

I have a problem as to whether catfish are true predators. I would say they are more like omnivorous scavengers. I've even caught African cats on baits such as bread, sweetcorn and soap.

True predators to my mind eat flesh, whether it be worms, insects or fish.

What do you think?

R

Rob Brownfield

Ron, I have caught Pike on bread!!!...Perch on sweetcorn....Carp on deadbaits....Bream on livebaits...where does it all end???
In my book, cats are predators as there main food items are fish, wildfowl and rodents.

R

Ron Clay

Yes Rob, you are right.
Cats are predators, the SA ones take flies very well

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

I believe I have given my views on this one before Ron but for anyone who is new- The majority of Cats found in stillwaters do seem to be truley catholic in their taste.Anything from live fish to boilies!I have seen them caught on the following-Bread,Pastes,Liver,Steak,Luncheon Meat,Maggotts,Dead chicks,All types of dead fish,Various sea foods,Boillies,Medicinal Leeches,Worms,Swan mussels,All manner of grubs and creepy crawlies!Soap(Yes soap!)In fact all baits you can imagine!!! However in rivers they are very rarely caught on any thing but live baits!(I have caught and know of other people who have caught on leeches and worms)But in general it is very hard to catch consistantly on anything else but lives.This is especially true on the big European rivers.Why? I don't know!In these big rivers they are very much an active predator.It is a great sight to watch a treble figure cat "fry" feeding on 4lb carp.On the continent lure fishing is also quite popular and sucsessfull.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I love that! Fry feeding on 4lb carp! I'll be with you on one your trips next year Budgie I hope. I want to see that kind of fry feeding!

R

Ron Clay

The very best bait for Sharp Toothed Catfish (Clarius gariepinus) is live frogs. They catch well in rivers and still waters. One of the most effective methods for these fish is fly fishing using a large (size 2/0) weighted fly cast accurately at the fish when they surface. If you are accurate enough they have it like a shot.
Of course the fly tackle used bares no resemblance to trout tackle, more to tarpon tackle!

S

Stewart Bloor

Budgie, I'm intrigued about soap as a bait...surely not intentional?...enlighten us please

R

Ron Clay

In many African rivers, the black women often wash their clothes on a rock using a ver coarse blue soap you can get anywhere in Africa. This soap is made from rendered down animal fats in the old way. Of coarse using the soap attracts cats and being an animal product, they eat it. I don't think some of the scented baths soaps would work although I might be wrong.

One thing you could say when using soap for bait is "cleanliness is next to...." or perhaps not HA HA HA.... umh

G

Gary A

Hi there pikers,I have just moved to the Leeds area and I am trying to find out if there are any pike clubs and waters in the area. Could any of you guys help me out and point me in the right direction. Cheers.

D

Davy North

Hi Gary,

I'm probably not the best qualified to answer living in Cleveland, but most of my piking is done in North Yorkshire so it's like splitting the difference from Leeds.

Most of, if not all the Yorkshire river systems hold pike. Day ticket waters on the Swale like Topcliff, and Cundle Lodge hold big pike. So does the Ouse around York, Linton Lock day ticket water is well known. There's also the lake at Castle Howard.
Now I think about it a mate of mine has a brother who lives in Leeds, and I'm sure he said he's had pike from one of the cities park lakes? You'd have to check that one.

I don't know if any of that will help, sorry I can't be more specific.

P

peter bevan

i'm working and living in moscow (russia) can/has any one got any info on good pike waters over here the locals catch eveything on lures but i can't get a take on a dead bait or live one. no antis over here thank god. otherwise i'll just have to join the local.
but none of them under stand why a dead bait works on the better fish? and i still enjoy a more static approch.

J

Jonathan Faro

Of coures cats are preadtors.There aways leaving dead animals in my garden and they eat meaty chunks. Ok could someone pass me the right end of the stick.I seem to recall months ago asking for a new section, I wanted it to be specilists and not predators in paticuler but I'll take the credit anyway

Jon

A

alistair urquhart

Hi there,
I live in the Highlands of Scotland,where the fishing is free and there are not many other Pike fishers around.Sounds good....only one problem,i have been fishing for over 20 years and still find it hard to locate the big fish in these large open lochs!!!!
Any help would be great