Drennan cup

flightliner

Reaction score
The winner of the annual Drennen cup awarded through the Angling times will be announced in the next few weeks. Is there anyone out there who thinks that the competition could be improved in any way?.

tortoise100

Reaction score
Maybe if after the short list has been drawn up it was up to normal people to vote.
I would vote for the eel !!

dezza

Reaction score
The Drennan Cup should not just be decided by weight, or even what percentage of the record the fish is.

What must also be considered are the circumstances of capture. Was the capture a feat of highly skillful angling, or just another case of a fish which hooked itself on a bolt rig?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have always thought the Drennan cup was awarded for an anglers fishing performances over the season and not for a single capture. Our very own Andy Nellist (The Dog) won it a few years ago for some amazing captures on Wilstone and much deserved it was too because he is a truly remarkable angler and Wol would probably win it as well if he had the time to devote himself to a full season of chasing big fish because he too is a cracking good angler. When Andy won it he put not only a lot of time into his season (remember he worked full time during that period) but a lot of knowledge and expertise and that is what the Drennan cup is all about, exceptional angling not a single fish or at least it used to be. If this is still the case why change it?

Last edited:

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Hey, don't forget me.:mad: Runner up in 1996 with northern fish caught in northern waters by a northern angler.:)

Serious question now, has a northern angler ever won the Drennan cup?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
It looks like Staffordshire comes under North Midlands!

Mind you, where I live is now a region of Northern France...

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
It looks like Staffordshire comes under North Midlands!

I'm northern born so that makes me a northern angler and I caught the fish from the same northern waters I've fished all my life. That's still true even if I'd moved to Australia.:wh

Incidentally, although my postal address is Staffordshire I live on the Staffs/Cheshire border, which is still more North than Midlands.

dezza

Reaction score
Graham, as far as I can go back, I don't think a Drennan Cup gas ever been won by a catch taken north of the Watford Gap.

This is why the Angling Star created a big fish competition for people in the north.

---------- Post added at 06:55 ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 ----------

It looks like Staffordshire comes under North Midlands

And I live in the Southern Northerns!

:wh

preston96

Reaction score
I'm northern born so that makes me a northern angler and I caught the fish from the same northern waters I've fished all my life. That's still true even if I'd moved to Australia.:wh

Incidentally, although my postal address is Staffordshire I live on the Staffs/Cheshire border, which is still more North than Midlands.

Oi Winkle............dont you try to class ole Marzipan as a Midlander!,we have standards to keep! :p

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The Drennan Cup should not just be decided by weight, or even what percentage of the record the fish is.

What must also be considered are the circumstances of capture. Was the capture a feat of highly skillful angling, or just another case of a fish which hooked itself on a bolt rig?

The cup isn't decided by weight, or even a percentage of the record weight.

Anglers who have won weekly Drennan awards get to vote on who wins the cup. The winner most years is for the Angler who has been most consistant during the year, thats why Terry Lampard has won it so many times.

If it was to do with the record weights, then everyone who breaks a record would win, that just isn't the case, it's down to angling skill.

andy nellist

Reaction score
My fish in 2003/2004 came from two of the Tring Reservoirs and the Thames near Oxford. All the waters were and remain open to all and my total spend on tickets that season was about £150.

Also came fourth in 2007 with fish from the Colne Valley all caught in the first month of the first season after stopped fishing Tring due to the politics on the place.

Northern Anglers such as the legendary Lancastrian Alan Wilson have won the cup but with most of their fish coming from southern waters.

stuart mitchell

Reaction score
tring....here i come.....home tmw from germany......hope i can emmulate some of andy nellist's success....startops for a month then onto the hard one.....wilstone.......HELP!

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Northern Anglers such as the legendary Lancastrian Alan Wilson have won the cup but with most of their fish coming from southern waters.

That's true Andy, and it's also true that he lived down south when he caught them, most of the time anyway.

In a bivvy.;)

Good bloke though Alan and an excellent angler.

dezza

Reaction score
That's true Andy, and it's also true that he lived down south when he caught them, most of the time anyway.

In a bivvy.;)

Good bloke though Alan and an excellent angler.

A really nice unassuming guy was Alan Wilson.

I once must have spent 3 whole hours talking to him at an angling show many years ago. He wasn't all that well known then, but by crikey was he enthusiastic about his fishing.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Alan Wilson showed that living rough (bivvied up long term) is a sure way to knacker your health! I remember that one of his roach trips was something like 87 consecutive days and nights in the same swim which is as good a definition of time banditry as there ever was.

One thought I did have about the Drennan Cup was that if you could but catch them (provided you had unlimited access to all of the waters) the fish that would be good enough are, amongst many other places, to be found within 5 miles of Ringwood. They include roach to 3lbs plus, carp over 50lbs, perch over 4lbs, bream over 16lbs, tench to 12lbs, chub over 8lbs, dace over a pound, barbel to at least 16lbs. Any of the above could conceivably win weekly prizes. All you have to do is catch them which rules me out but what fish to dream about....

Please write requests for venues on the back of £50 notes and include a couple extra:wh

Gary Newman

Reaction score
I don't think that where in the country you are based should really come into it as if you want it enough then you'll travel the extra miles - as people who are at the top in all other sports do.

Personally i enjoy fishing for big fish and tend to concentrate on the venues that hold them, but this still involves travelling large distances - including all the way up to Oban a couple of weeks back to try and catch a skate.
If you want it enough then you'll do the miles, a lot of top carp anglers are from the north or midlands. I can also remember bumping into Mike Townsend who'd driven down to Oxford for a day session, or Julian Chidgeley and Tom Collingridge who'd driven up from Devon, now there's dedication!