Bristol Channel Boat Fishing

K

Kevin Henderson

A friend of mine has very kindly offered to take me fishing in his boat, launching from Portishead.

I have fished from the shore, but would very much appreciate any advice on tactics to employ and any good spots to try!

Thanks

Kev

S

Steve Parsons

No idea of where to fish. Unless your friend is VERY experienced with his boat I would recommend you don't go with him. The upper channel is an extremely dangerous place with massive tidal range and lots of huge ships in and out of the docks. If you do go then uptiding with upto 10 ozs of lead will be the way to fish, along with massive lug and sqiud baits.

G

goff dyer

Kevin unless your friend has experience of the area dont bother,Bristol channel can be a inhospitable place for the small boat owner.

J

jason fisher

fished a bit further down along the north devon coast makerel flappers are good for the tope in summer not sure about now though.
The bristol channel has the second highest tidal range in the world, cant remember where's tops.

K

Kevin Henderson

The trip referred to in the original message did not happen, but may do now in the next month or two!

If anyone has any further advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks Steve.... he's quite experienced with boats. Does a lot of scuba diving in the English Channel

Cheers

Kev