tip of the week

J

jason fisher

has anyone other than me tried using one of the sea fishing match tripods when using feeder rods on flooded rivers, so they're around 30 quid but what do you get. 3 leg tripod holding 2 rods and with but cups, so you can lift the rod buts a couple of feet from the ground before you start and so keep even more line off the water.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

yes
Seen them used on the Severn....

W

Wolfman Woody

Match angler and expert Thames feeder fisherman I knew, called Fred Starr (not the one who ate hamsters) had an extra long adjustable bankstick. It was so tall he had to stand on his tackle box to use it for the reason you have outlined. He'd fish an entire match like that and win.
Sadly he died last year - nice bloke.

G

Geoff Cowen

I've been using the PM Rod High Tripod for the last two years and would not be without it. This tripod was designed for Barbel river fishing and used by Roger Miller in the book The Complete Barbel Angler. Available for Leslies of Luton for ?32.99p.
One of the best buys I have ever made.

D

Dave O'L

Jason, I used a sea rest I got for 50p from boot sale with degree of success on tidal Thames (Isleworth). Everyone else was technically doing the same as they were leaning their rods on the barrier.
I just preferred to save my rod rings!

J

jason fisher

I got one for sea fishing a couple of years ago and i do think they are a real bonus when trying to keep the line out of the water on flooded rivers

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I have seen quite a few using them on the Tidal Trent.

Mind you when the river is in flood I often cast upstream, let out a bow of line and keep the rod tip low.

Bites are very positive, the tip goes slack all of a sudden and you can avoid the problem with spooking fish by lines going down at an angle into the water.

I caught two nice chub on the Hants Avon using this method a few weeks ago in very clear water.

Upstream legering is also a way of preventing your quarry from seeing you.

D

Dave O'L

I used the same technique with the sea rest Ron. Same as downtiding really. Thought it worked better with the line up out of the water as there was so much drag. Again bites were great big slackers.

I think the difference is the depth of water. The place I was at on the Thames was @ 10ft & moving reasonably fast. Once the tide turned only a beachcasting outfit would of held.

I take it if you were on the Avon Ron it wouldn't be that deep. Most of our stretch on the Stour is only average 4ft deep. Here I'd use the sea rest when the flood is banging through or if I'm trying to get over a load of weed.

One thing too watch with the sea rest are the birds, particularly the low flying Geese or Swans. You have to be ready to lower the rod reasonably fast.

N

Nick Austin

I use a really high rest and keep the tip well up in the air..i also experimented with a sliding rod rest on the loddon.....it was pretty useful for giving a couple of extra nano-seconds of indication before boris tore off with my pellet! hahahah