Crucian

A

Andy Nellist

Below is the conclusion to Marks article just to give you an idea why you shoudl read it all :eek:)

Phil Smith, the BRFC trouble-shooter, is still wrestling with the problems of how samples could be collected and who would do the testing. Phil, however, acknowledged that DNA is the future. "We have got the beginnings of a method,? said Phil.

But it is now two years since the BRFC were first made aware that technology was rapidly advancing to the stage where the species of a fish could be accurately identified from a single scale.

With genetic markers now identified, it is today possible at a minimal cost to check to a high degree of accuracy a potential crucian record using a single scale. One idea that has already been mooted is to ask the EA to print a number in bold on the front of all rod licenses to phone if you think you have a record. This could then be used to instruct the lucky angler on what to do to ensure a successful claim.

Ian Welch of RMC Angling welcomed the latest EA sponsored research from Hull university and said, "DNA analysis is the only way that we will ever move forward and it is the criteria that the BRFC should be using in future record claims."

Whilst Ian believes the population of Summer Pit and the Stock Pond consists only of true Crucians, he will be arranging for DNA testing of the fish. He stated, "I do not believe there is the possibility of F1 hybridisation from either of these waters as there are no species present with which the crucians are able to breed, but only DNA will confirm this!?

Such a forward thinking approach from the man in charge at RMC Angling has to be welcomed

P

Philip Smith

Hi I'd like to put a photo of my 4lb 11 oz Crucian(?) on the page.How do I do this?
Phil.

P

Phil Hackett

Andy, I’m with you on this one, its time BRFC removed as far as is scientifically possible any ambiguity about species that can and do hybridise.

I have clearly said that at SAA meetings and will continue to say that in public.

The system as it stands now belongs to a bygone age.

It needs modernising ASAP for that committee to retain its credibility in my eyes and the eyes of many anglers today, judging by the threads on this site.

A

Andy Nellist

Phil, thanks for your support. I think it is now inevitable that the BRFC will have to insist on accepting DNA testing. Sadly I think the delay in moving to this approach will mean we are going to end up with a number of "open" records when they eventually do.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of the next BRFC meeting which I understand is about to take place. How on earth are they going to deal with the Crucian and Silver Bream Claims in light of the Hull research.

As a footnote one of my friends visited the water that produced the Silver Bream record in waiting and had a 14 oz Silver Bream with rather too many anal fin rays !!!!

P

Phil Hackett

BRFC
Should I think forgo this claim on the grounds that there is to much uncertainty surrounding hybridisation with S. Bream. I would support this, but only if they announce a date when DNA testing is going to start.

I would also have great sympathy with the claimant not getting his name on the record book, but again better to have a true species than one with a ? over it. May be there’s someway of giving credit to the captor, whilst also pointing out that because of the uncertainty we are forgoing this claim. It would most likely follow that when the BRFC move to DNA testing the record would be expunged anyway and would become an open record?

G

Gary Knowles

Andy,

Its Ians forward thinking attidude that not only makes hin a great angler but has turned RMC into probably the best angling club in the UK.

You are right, his forward thinking should be applauded.