Single Hook For Dead Bait?

D

Davy North

I am a pike angler of limited experience and up to now have always used the traditional two treble snap tackle style rig for dead bait. However I have been talking to a lad who swears by a single sea up-tide size 2 (with the barb nipped down). He says he gets better hooking, and I can see the advantage of easy unhooking, no flying trebles, and no hooks getting caught up in landing nets. Does anyone out there in predator land have any opinion on this?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've tried all the other rigs, double hooks instead of trebles, singles instead of trebles, but for me the two treble snap-tackle is still the best. But I do use barbless these days and flying trebles are no longer a problem.

R

Rob Brownfield

I love partridge doubles...I find them much better than trebles.

As for singles, I have used them with small baits such as Spratts, small roach etc and soft baits like sardines. I tend to use Drennan Boilie hooks as they dont have such a thick wire, especially when paternostering, where I hook the bait once through the back.

A

Andy Doughty

I sometimes use a single hook for small baits when fishing for zander. Small trebles seem to be a bit of pain when trying to unhook zander in the dark!

D

Davy North

Sorry.. I should have pointed out that the single hook method mentioned was for trotting and retrieving small baits like sprats on rivers, not big baits or throwing half mackerel to the horizon.

C

Chris Bishop

Tried singles/doubles and seemed to bounce a lot off. I reckon the hook gets pressed flat into the bait as the pike engulfs it and the point doesn't always stay proud enough to engage anything.

The Green Lagoon rig - two v sharp Au Lion D'Or singles (?) had a lot of devotees a few years back, this involved using a casting clip/tail loop so the hooks were attached really lightly in the bait.

Vic Bellars, who invented the doubles, also advocated this.

I must admit I've never managed to get it right.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

Same as Graham I too have tried all possible combinations only to come back too the standard snap tackle.