cheating

A

alan outen

how many of you have cheated when youve takern kids fishing?
what i mean is youve cast out and you get a bite but know its only something small so you let the kids reel it in. i did it yesterday took my 8 year old sea fishing and he 'caught' 3 small fish(2 pout and a bullhead) and all i got on the way home was"im better at fishing then you i caught 3 and you caught none".
it was the first time he was ever really interested and now wants to go again.

C

Chris Bishop

Did this only the other day, son caught three, best a shade over 10lbs.

G

Gary Knowles

Done this loads of times. Trouble is she then runs round telling everyone "I caught 15 fish and my dad caught nothing"....

A

alan outen

thats all im getting as well
if it had been a 10lb fish on my rod i would have landed it(not had anything big yet)

B

Budgie Burgess

Much better than the other way around.I remember a Pike teach in for "under privalidged" kids where a "famous" angler ripped the rod out of his young charges hands when he realised it was a twenty on the end!

E

Eric Hayes

Sometimes I fish a private lake at Ramsbottom in Lancashire for the carp. I've only ever caught 1 Carp from the place and the odd Bream. I always take the lad with me and let him fish with a whip or a float rod using maggot, I've watched him drag in Perch, Roach, skimmers, and Trout hand over fist nerly every time we go, but I inevitably blank and at the and at the end of the day it's always the same he will come out with something like "really your Crap at fishing, the place is full of fish and you never catch any." And I get that all the way home in the car..............

S

Stuart Bullard

.....surely you are used to that Gary?!

Its the best way to start.

Thing is it can work in reverse. My son hooked into a bigger fish (it was a bream over 7lb) so guess who landed it and took the credit !! Shame on me.

Its interesting. Jacob is now much more interested in doing the whole bit (baiting, casting etc) than actually catching fish.

Also, he just loves going night fishing. When we went for the last time this year a few weeks ago he sat next to me as I was heating up the chilli on a clear night and said (and this is word for word) -

"Dad, its really great just camping out here like mates. I'm going to make sure I take my son fishing when I grow up (and get this bit) because its important to understand nature".

And he gave me a cuddle. He is 9.......and I am not ashamed to say I had a little blub.

Thats the Southern Softie in me.

G

Gary Knowles

Stu,

When I took my 8 year old daughter with Graham last month I couln't beleive how much she enjoyed chopping lobs !!!!

She spent all days asking if we could massacre half a dozen more.........god knows where she gets the cruel strek from.....

S

Stuart Bullard

I cant even do that myself Gary !! Surely you are not suggesting she got it from her mother.......

R

Ron Troversial Clay

When my kid (Sean) was about 8 years of age, I used to take him fly fishing for trout and lure fishing for bass.

His job at the time was to carry the landing net and land the fish.

Then, after lots of nagging, I let Sean play and land the trout, after I had done the casting, retrieving and hooking of the fish.

Then, after that, I taught him to cast with a 9 foot 7 eight outfit. He picked up the skill very quickly and was soon equalling my own catches. On several trips he caught far more and bigger fish than me.

Was I peeved? No way, I was dead chuffed.

After all it was me that taught him.

B

Budgie Burgess

"The standard of the student reflects the standard of the instructor"