should we ban the spods?

W

William Spencer

a few weeks ago i met dave rothery for a few days fishing at linear where i banked a new pb in the form of a 24lb mirror.
after a few pointers from dave my spodding was a 100 per cent better to say the least.
the pair of us spodded a nice little banquet out for the carp.
i decided to post on the review section my thoughts on the fox bait rocket.
another angler is saying that the spods should be banned as fish aren't feeding as they've had tons of boilies thrown at them.
sarcastically graham also suggests that we ban bait buckets,swimfeeders maggots casters,et al
the main point of graham's satirical note is the we blame the tool not the angler.
thanks graham,in short to mr steve reeves if you can't stand the heat stay outta the kitchen

Malcolm Evans

Reaction score
When I saw this I wondered whether it was serious. Ban spods ? Surely bait boats must go first, followed by PVA products, before we get to banning something as non-ntechnological and powered by hard graft.

Fish tend not to bite, if one or more of the following is true:

a) presentation is dodgy

b) bait is dodgy

c) bait not in the right place.

Claiming the big hulking carp are "too full" is just a bolt hole.

cheers

N

NottmDon

Im opening my own fishery in which line, hooks, reels, floats and ledger weights will all be banned. I have heard it rumoured these may help people catch fish. Cant have that can we? Ban everything, enjoy your stay LMAO!

I am constantly amused by the ever growing list of bans doing the rounds as it were, whatever next? Whats a spod but a big swim feeder when all is said and done, minus the hooklength of course?

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
I was speaking to a bloke yesterday who thought boilies should be banned across the board that carp were too fat.

Buy putting out any amount of bait are we forcefeeding fish?

I somehow dont think so if a carp doesnt want to eat surely it wont eat.

I am sure that they are the most nutritious thing they find and have wondered if they eat them not realising they only need a few whereas they may need ten times the amount of snails??

L

Les Clark

In the past I have seen anglers arrive in a swim ,spod out loads of bait for a couple of hours ,stay for a 24 hour session ,blank and go home ,repeat this over a 3 day period and that is a lot of bait being spodded out which just kills the swim .
You arrive at a lake ,you must take into account the fact that the swim could have been fished for the last week before you arrived ,there is nothing wrong with the spod ,but think about what you are doing ,you won`t be the first in that swim .
You can put it in but you can`t take it out .

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good points Les.
after reading Frotheys article on spodding, I'd love the chance like william and spend time with Dave getting it right, as this is something I wil hopefully be doing this season.

Clikfire

Reaction score
I know not all species are the same, but my late grand father who was a game fisheries consult, and rod maker, told me that Trout were so greedy for pellets that they would continue to eat until the food backed up to such an extent that they could no longer pass water through there gills. So without intervention would sufficate.

But i'm not against spods, I think like those bagging wagglers they have to be good for scareing the fish towards other swims for a while.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Lads, this thread is from '03, and didn't have an replys till Malcolm found it 16 months later, still I can't see any harm in spods, 'cept if you get hit with one :eek:)

L

Les Clark

Rodney ,I still would have put the same posting up 16 months ago ,but to be fair I have seen less massive spodding in the last year or two .

R

Rodney Wrestt

Fair enough mate, your points were as relative today as they would have been then. I was just pointing out it was an older thread.