Rules should be for everyone

M

Martin James

What a crazy situation, We cannot walk on the footpath but two woman and
a pony can play games in a field full of sheep by the river in
Grindleton Lancashire . I spoke with Maff nationally who gave me local
number who in turn gave me the number for the trading standards officer.
Having spoken with the trading Standards I was told the people in the
field probably have every right to be there. This might be correct. But
when the footpath through the field is closed, fishing is banned
should not these people be more diplomatic and not inflame a situation.

--
martin james

R

Ron Clay

In my local canal in the middle of Rotherham, you can see lots of people walking dogs off the lead and kids on bikes, yet they have banned anglers.

It don't make sense, doea it?

David Preston

Reaction score
The way it was described to our association by the powers that be was along the lines of "We know there are people walking and mountain biking on the towpath, but they move - if you sit down on a basket and fish, we'll catch you easily."

R

Ron Clay

If that's really what the powers that be said, well all I can say is what a sick, sick, sick, darned awful country this has become.

I'm going home!!!

G

Gary Knowles

Hello Martin.....long time no speak!

I agree entirely, trouble is we are too soft to really stand up for ourselves. Anglers get the shitty end of the stick every time and all we do is accept it.

Trouble is this time though, is a lot of stretches (especially rivers) are leased off farmers and if it was even hinted that the spread of F+M was caused by anglers the farmers would not be too keen to renew leases. However - I do think clubs should have been more selective with the waters they closed down. A blanket ban seemed a bit of a kneejerk rection to me.

M

Martin James

Hi Garry Congratulations on your outstanding catches this past season, Its nice seeing you catching some well deserved fish. I am missing my river and stream trout fishing through the F&M But I really do feel we must keep off the river and stream side especially where there are sheep and cattle. As you know being an environment correspondent I have been all over the country interviewing many people involved with the problems of F&M. From talking with farmers their wives etc., We anglers have a good name in the farming community for our quick response in stopping fishing. That's more than some arrogant dog walkers and bike riders have. We have just had our first case of F&M in the Ribble Valley Hopefully it will be the only one. I highlighted the case of the two woman and a pony in the field of sheep at Grindleton as I felt they should have been more responsible and not so arrogant

G

Gary Knowles

Thanks Martin,
Concerened to hear there there has been a case of F+M in the Ribble valley - I wasn't aware of that. I totally agree we should avoid the river at this time, especially as most of the farmers here allow parking and access.

We should have that day chubbing together we have been promising ourselves for a couple of years now when this business is cleared up.

Congratulations on the Aire '6'.

M

Martin James

Hi everyone As you know I complained about two woman in a field full of sheep with a pony to the Trading Standard Officer. Its very gratifying that when you do complain something is done. Today I had a call from the Trading Standards Officer saying he had visited the place in question, Though the people had every right to be in the field it was suggested they didn't do so when everyone else was forbidden to use the footpath and river bank and to be a bit more sensitive to other peoples feelings Cheers Martin

A

Andy Thatcher

Has anyone noticed how badly F & M has affected golf ? Think you'll find it hasn't looking at the courses I drive past. Case of sour grapes ? You bet !
Cheers
Andy