Organised trips to French public waters

J

jerry stapylton

I wonder if many of the countless brits who cross the channel each year on organised trips to public waters in France realise just how pissed off the French carp anglers are by what they see as the privatisation of their" domaine publique" On the FFPC-GN Carpe forum recently there have been many postings concerned with the general bad manners, swim hogging, littering etc of the visiting anglers. One correspondent cites a "barrage" where for most of the summer the best areas have been dominated by an english tour company on a turn around basis. Every Saturday the bus arrives and one lot gets off to make room for the other lot to get on. This on a public water which , by simply buying a "carte de p?che", anyone has the right to fish. I think that were the boot on the other foot then we would hear howls of anguish from the displaced brits.It would appear that it may be contrary to the French "code civil" to organise paid trips to public waters. Article R235-20 states( I have translated from a forum posting) "The right to fish belongs to the State and is excercised to its advantage on public waters.This right can ONLY be leased to the departmental federation of fishing associations for the benefit of members".I don't think that the Frenchies give a monkeys about the brits locked away on some private lake,provided that the lake isn't stuffed with pinched fish, but I sense there a real concern about the proliferation of tours to public waters , especially rivers.
If any reader can "parler un peu" I recommend the forum at www.internetservices-fr.net/membres/forum, or go to GN Carpe.

B

Budgie Burgess

More to the point it is the attitude of these anglers that piss the French off.Oh and the Spannish,and the Dutch and the.............Try living and guiding in any of these countries and you will often be embarrased to be British.Ultra cult instant expert goes down as well in Europe as it does here.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

You only have to see some of the "holiday resort " programmes on TV to feel ashamed of being British

B

Budgie Burgess

Yes you are right there Eddie.Brits abroad can be terrible.Some of my own customers embarass me.They cant even be bothered to learn please and thank you in the apropriate language.However they are the loosers.The classic Brit trait of speaking louder to make yourself understood is still the norm too.The odd prat is soon forgotten but if you have them turning up every day then things are soon spoilt for the nice people.I could rant on for ages about the poor attitude of Brit anglers in Spain and how the enjoyment of the fishing there has been spoilt.But Im sure you both know where Im comming from.Very sad.

M

Mike Lee

All the more reason to shove the EU up their collective ar**s.

Do you really want that lot running our affairs and have their collective finger on the nuclear button?

Do you think anglers fishing on 'their' rivers compares for an instant to the way that our EU friends point the way to the UK for thousands of asylum seekers?

A bit of perspective please folks of you'll have me weeping all day for the poor French anglers.

D

Dave Rothery

its always made me laugh at the english arrogance when visiting other countries with regards to their language skills, but to be honest, i've never seen any of the behaviour that you see on tv....but then i've never done club 18-30!
i dont think you can blame the anglers that fish where they've been taken, the fault lies with the tour group. wonder how much people are paying for their "free" fishing? maybe the english ought to slowly emmigrate to france, we love their country so much and it'll leave more room for asylum seekers here?

M

Mike Lee

Dave?

Bender?

Good point Dave.

BTW, We don't eat the fish we catch in France.

A bailiff in Wellingborough was badly beaten by three men when he tried to get them to leave a club lake.

He wanted them to leave because they had no permit, no licence, didn't (apparently)h and had roach, bream, tench and a carp in a plastic bag.

I'm still a bit tearful Jerry!

M

Mike Lee

He wanted them to leave because they had no permit, no licence, didn't (apparently)speak english and had roach, bream, tench and a carp in a plastic bag.

D

Dave Rothery

I know its a good point, thats why I made it. anyone that thinks different can kiss my shiny metal ass!

still cant figure out why anyone wants to eat a carp, they taste like cr*p!

D

Dave Rothery

I know its a good point, thats why I made it. anyone that thinks different can kiss my shiny metal butt!

still cant figure out why anyone wants to eat a carp, they taste like cr*p!

M

Mike Lee

What's that thing on top of your head Bender?

Why can't we get a signal in this building?

R

rob tudor

I think Jerry the barrage you are refering to is the river lot. As far as i can make out there are one maybe two 'companies' offering river trips. The behaviour of the anglers should be their resposibility. I fish in france 6-7 times a year and am myself fed up with being tarred with the same brush. However it should be pointed out that the gard de peche should apply the rules equally and not if you are a brit or a french angler. I was offed from a northern river despite being in the legal night zone by four gard de peche I returned the next day to find one of the gard de peche and his mate bivvied up where I was fishing. I have also been red carded from a couple of lakes whilst all the french anglers slept on in their bivvies. I have a lot of sympathy with the french carp anglers who have found their local lakes and rivers raped and pillaged by people who own lakes nearby. I have made the point about equal treatment on a couple of french sites in the past and for the most part the replies were 'tough' stay in england! If those anglers on thre river trips are causing problems then the gard de peche should sort it out in my experience they are usually not shy in making there presence known.

J

jerry stapylton

Hi rob. I have to admit to being a bit of a francophile. The reason behind my posting was just the faint hope that a few consciences may be pricked, thereby improving, albeit infinitesimally, franco-british relations.I generally get on very well with the french anglers that I meet, but there have been times, certainly around Paris , where I have felt unwelcome.This being almost entirely due to the thieving of fish from the Seine and Yonne to stock up the pay lakes for brits..As for the gardes de p?che I think they are as thin on the ground in some areas as our EA baillifs are here. Je vous souhaite bonne p?che
Jerry

R

rob tudor

I get on well with most of the french anglers I meet their main concern on a couple of waters I fish is that the next time I go there I'll have a mini bus full etc. Funny you should mention Paris no guessing where 99% of the hassle I have happens. I sometimes think that even the french don't like Parisiennes! I also believe that if you were to enlighten anglers going to some english run lake where a lot of the fish came from they probably wouldn't be that bothered. The libel laws prevent naming names but I am sure you know who/which lakes have dubious stock. I checked out the forum you mentioned and the brits aren't flavour of the month are we. As usual a minority make life difficult for the majority plus ca change eh?

D

Dave Rothery

i bet theres a few french that have "supplied" the "english" (here and there!) lakes though.........

but then we'd be up in arms if a french angler bought wraysbury, poached horton,yately,horseshoe,linear,etcetcetc and bussed anglers from all over europe to fish it

J

jerry stapylton

You are of course dead right Dave.Many of the "poached " carp for sale in France are offered by french anglers, and these days it is just as likely to be a french guy who owns the lake in which they may end up. The British invented the market and to a great extent sustain it, and now all sorts of entrepreneurs are jumping on the bandwagon. I think that even though France is a vast country with enormous angling resources the "ordinary" french carpistes and those that follow other styles of fishing are more and more coming into contact with the business element and becoming suspicious of it. Where there is a scheme there is a schemer...right? There are moves afoot to outlaw the movement of carp in France but I fear that as long as there are clients willing to pay for plastic fishing then it will continue to expand to the detriment of the proper, wild and practically free fishing that I have enjoyed over there for some years.
Rob, you're dead on about Parisiennes, strange folk, ask any Frenchman. You are probably right too about the tourists not caring where the 50's and 60's have come from, but from my point of view that aint fishing. like they say in ECHO circles " Let's keep it real" both here and abroad
Jerry