Rontroversial in Ireland

C

Chris Bishop

Seriously enjoyed this Ron. John Weston's hardly changed since then.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Oh what memories Chris.

John was dead chuffed when he saw his photo in FM. Never one for publicity, he was one of the best all rounders of the 60s and 70s. His list of big fish includes many pike over 20 lbs and one over 30.

Other than Bill Steele and Malcom Meintjes of South Africa, I have spent more time fishing with John than anyone else in my lifetime.

Thanks for publishing this article Graham. It is one of those I really enjoyed writing.

L

Les Clark

Ron, A blast from the past for you,a realy enjoyable read for me, thank`s.

G

goff dyer

Nice one Ron excellent (but your still mad as a fish LOL)

C

Chris Bishop

Just got a picture of us sitting in the pub at Ramsey Forty Foot, day before the season started.

Ron and John have the beer goggles on.

"We'll be out baiting up our tench swim on't way back won't we John...."

"Aye, 'appen we will Ron.."

Numerous beers and lunch on me later, said deed took place.

Four O'clock, following morning. The glorious 16th.

Ron and John search the Old Nene, trying to remember where they pre-baited....

F

Fergal Scully

Brilliant article Ron. Makes me wish I was born fifty years ago instead of thirty.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Thanks for the appreciation chaps. Many has been the time when I have been asked if I would write a book.

The problem is, who would read it?

Most publishers want books on the technical side of angling today - how to do it and what works, rig diagrams etc, etc. plus tohe usual boring trophy shots of fish. I've written many technical papers in my life and have found doing so a chore, not an enjoyment.

If I ever wrote a book, I would like it to be illustrated by an artist. And it would be a series of stories and anecdotes of interesting things that have happened to me in my fishing life.

It wouldn't sell because what anglers today want today is illustrated comics. They don't even want to see good photography; just a grinning face behind a fish and anyone can do that.

Maybe one day when I retire, I will do something.

It would certainly have a chapter or two on my days contributing to FM and some of the great characters I have met and got to know through this website.

L

Les Clark

Ron,As much as I take the mick out of you,which you expect,becouse of the bait you put out,I for one,would read a book by yourself and would enjoy it,but don`t leave it to late.

C

Chris Bishop

Just trying to think of a suitable title and the sort of three-line treatment that'll clinch it with a publisher and sell the film rights...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron,
What a cracking read this was!

You have an inestimable wealth of angling knowledge and personal stories from the true golden age of angling.

It would be a crime not to commit these to print at some stage.

T

The Monk

keep telling you about this book of your Ron,

you owe it to the angling world mate?

classic piece mate,
the golden age of specimen hunting

R

Ron Troversial Clay

If I think back on the books I have enjoyed most it's those that described how fish were caught, not how to catch them.

Maybe something along these lines would be the way to go, together with a few stories along the way.

I do not want to write an angling text book.

There have been some marvellous text books on angling in recent years. One of the best was Tony Miles tome entitled "Search for Big Chub"

When anyone today asks me how to catch cub I tell them to buy this book. It is the all time classic.

L

Les Clark

Ron,we don`t want a text book,stories mate ,that`s what we want.

Phil Jackson

Reaction score
This was a wonderful memoire and well worth resurrecting. Thank you Ron. More please,....

Phil Jackson (Tenchfishers)

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I agree Phil, I hadn't seen this before and it was a very good read. Well done for finding it and resurrecting it.