Line Coils!!

M

Malcolm Bason

Some people apparently seem to have problems with their fishing line coiling - sometimes very badly!

This is something I haven't experienced for a long time, and I really thought it a thing of the past assuming that modern line manufacturers had managed to eliminate the problem?

One person I did speak to recently says he immerses his line in hot soapy water prior to loading it on the spool of his reel! I have used washing-up liquid on the line in the past as a means of sinking the line - but thats all - and that was many years ago!

Anyone else tried this? Or have you tried other preventative measures?

R

Rob Brownfield

Use braid!!!
I have trouble with lines if i am fishing at extreme range and am using the bait runner facility. Only way round it is to make a long cast across a field, then take ot the lead and allow the line to un-curl. Or, change the line,

P

Philip Inzani

Malcom not sure if you mean line twist, or loose coils flying off the spool and catching on the butt ring causing a crack off for example ?

If its loose coils then loading the line wet and under a little tension can help but not so much tension that the line digs into itself. Bigger butt rings also help...I saw a rod being supplied with a 50mm one recently! A smooth casting technique probably goes along way to avoiding the problem too. Others may be able to give some more tips.

If its line twist you mean then let me know as there are some things you can do to help it.

M

Malcolm Bason

Philip, thank you very much for pointing out my error, I should have been more specific, and I did actually mean 'line twist' and not 'loose coils' flying off the spool. I should have used the correct terminology.

P

Philip Inzani

No, problem Malcom....line twist seems to be quite a hot topic recently what with various reel manufacturers bringing out all these oversize line rollers that are (supposed) to alleviate the problem.

To be honest I have to say from my own experience I really dont worry that much about it. I change my line regularly and I am happy that twist is not effecting my fishing. However I know thats probably not very helpful so some of the ways I have heard are supposed to avoid/minimise twist are as follows:-

1)Load line off a rotating drum, in other words dont put a spool of line on its side and wind line over the lip. This will impart twist into the line. You can buy gadgets that clamp on doors/chairs etc that allow you to do this but an easier way is just to chuck the spool into a bucket of water and reel it off that.

2)fishing off a baitrunner or playing fish on the drag imparts twist so try and avoid fish streaming off with massive amounts of line from these.

3)Allowing your rig to dangle unhindered from your rod tip to remove any twist thats building up after each cast is (supposed) to help.

4)Oversize line rollers on reel as mentioned above are (supposed) to help.

5)Buy a line twist removing gadget like a Gardner spin docter, basically its a lead that spins and removes the twist in the line (supposed to work but I have some doubts about it)

... anyway hope that helps; others may have some other tips.