Bloody Boats!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Should cruisers be banned from inland waterways?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

No ---- We (Graham and I and a couple of other lads )have had some of our best holidays aboard a cruiser on the Shannon

N

Nick Austin

Definately Not!.
I had a great couple of seasons on the Thames, in a little cruiser, mooring up wherever i wanted and floatfishing, spinning, ledgering...

Why should they be banned.......as long as they dont start cruising down the loddon!
tehe!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham,

I really don't think that boats should be banned from rivers like the Thames.
There is, however, a real need for education, awareness and possibly a licensing scheme.

Here in the Southern States you will get a speeding ticket just as quickly on the rivers and bayous as you would on the highways and byways.
The system here is a fully enforced, zero tollerance of speeding boat drivers and the fines are actually higher than those experienced on the roads.
From what I have read the scheme is totally self financing whereby the cost of the 'policing' is fully recovered by the fines imposed.

I can see no good reason why a similar scheme would not work in the UK other than our typical "couldn't give a toss" mentality concerning our rivers.

W

Wolfman Woody

It's not so much just the speed these craft travel at, but the real 'gin palaces' have a deep V hull and chines that make them superb boats for planing. That's where the whole boat rises in the water above certain speeds e.g 15 knots. Do that on the Thames and you'd be emptying it as you went along.

Some of the holiday craft design are better, admittedly, but then they're driven by people who don't have a clue nor any appreciation for what is private property. They moor up wherever they like, start fishing on your fishery that cost your club thousands, and then set fire to half the undergrowth with their little tin-foil bar-b-qs.

Good article by the way! oooh it's mine isn't it? Must have a read.

W

Wolfman Woody

Just had a look - why is there two trheads on this??????

That first picture - I would love that boat, but stuck on the Med. Beautiful, that's where it belongs. It was registered in Southampton - not Henley.

J

jason fisher

i think we were writing the first reply at the same time because when i wrote mine there were no others and when i posted it there was yours saying new

J

jason fisher

yep just looked they both have the same posting time, that's a problem with the system that is

A

Andrew Miller

I have been on a cruiser holiday nearly every year for 30 odd years on the Norfork Broads.I had some fanastic catches from the back of the cruiser and nothing can beat it for sheer comfort especially if you got a bad back like I have, a bit like fishing from your bedroom window sort of situation.In fact I preferred the old fashioned cruiser with it canvas canopy which is almost like a bivvie and perfect for fishing unlike the modern cruiser with it solid slide across fibre glass canopy.Anyway 90% of these cruiser had their engine fixed so it cant go faster than 7 knot per hour(which I think is the max speed limit in some of the area. BUT the private boats specially the those buying can do river testing and go at terrific speed causing huge washes and are allowed to do so because they carried a sign saying boat is excempt from speed limit. Why are they allowed to do so when all other boats are not allowed to break the speed limit is something I can never understand

Reaction score
Hi Jeff
I remember that day well what a load of idiots they were. Must have damaged the hull and I can remember the skipper ( the man with cap on )saying 'he would not be long' to us and do you know what he was right.
We fished the Thames once on Twyfords patch. It was very foggy infact to tell how bad it was we got lost crossing a field with visibilty down to 10 yards or less. Well we were sat in the fog fishing away when we first heard 'in out, in out,in out. I could not believe it out of the fog came a viking long boat with a bunch of college boys on board.Perhaps they wanted to go to Valhalla in a hurry. How they managed not to hit the islands that are out there i don't know.Mind you they just vanished in the fog and were not seen again that day.
Jeff you would love it there because these college lads have no or little idea on how to row in a straight line and its great fun watching them sink to the bottom in 12ft of water.One moment they row past you the next moment they swim past you must be some new competition we thought.
To be fair they are some great boat lads out there that slow down and head out but not many of them.

W

Wolfman Woody

Andrew, I hope you're wrong with that 7 knots per hour. That's close to 10mph which is a bit fast, but perhaps you mean 7Kph that's about 5mph - Nice!!!

Yes Stuart, there are some good, well mannered rowers who do behave themselves. One of my good friends does coaching on Marlows stretch with MRC members. There are some though that cut so close to the bank you ask "Come a bit closer next time pal and I'll check your tyres for you!"

We've got to share the river and there is pleanty of room for everyone. If rowers keep more to the middle then they avoid float anglers (usually) and the feeder lads have their lines well and truly sunk at that range.

N

Nick Austin

Jeff, i'm not sure..but most "fisheries" actually refer to the bank dont they...is it not true that.....if there is an island midstream on a fishery which has free mooring, there is no law to say you cant fish from a boat. Similarly, isn't it true that a boat can ANCHOR up and fish irrespective of whether the BANKS belong to a fishing club?....not condoning that behaviour, just pointing out.

At the end of the day the THAMES provides enjoyment for thousands of people, it allows people to take up various different sports and activities like canoeing, rowing,skulling,boating,angling, watching wildlife......
I'm sure that some of the dog walkers get cheesed of walking the banks and having to step over carbon poles and tackle that match fisherman seem to spread around themselves!

TOLERANCE required i feel.

A

Andrew Miller

Actually Jeff it should have been mph. In the narrower part of the broad you not allowed to go faster than 3mph. I think it about right.!
I don't know about the other waterway but on the river on the broads you not allowed to be more than 12 feet from the bank if anchoring up.Technically speaking if you got a 14 feet cruiser and you moored stern down instead of sideway you breaking the law! Even rowing boat size are not really allowed to anchored up more than 12 feet from the river bank which is a shame as it a lovely way of trotting down a good swim.

W

Wolfman Woody

Nick - two points - If there is an island, someone owns the land. That owner can allow boats to moor up free or charge them, but since the fishing is technically his as well he could charge for that as a separate facility if he wished.

Yes, a boat can anchor up mid-stream and technically, because he is not tied to the bank, he can fish without paying anyone or seeking their permissions.

In both cases he still needs a EA Rod Fishing Licence - That's how I used to get them to move!!!

Andrew - 3Mph is a much kinder speed. How many abide by it, I wonder.

N

Nick Austin

Correct Jeff....and as i think you are probably aware, there are a few decent islands around the henley, hurley,sonning caversham, areas which allow people to fish in what would overwise be (virtually unused)club waters. Anchoring mistream, in reality is VERY difficult on the thames,i'm sure some people take the PXXS a bit and anchor very close to the banks, thats a shame.

I understand what your'e saying...but as anglers in a modern world we cant aford to allienate ourselves from other river users can we?....