abu 501

K

Keith Hacking

A chap down our village deals a bit in fishing tackle,passing his house the other day he shouts me over,"i've got this reel to sell" the above 501 its mint, spare spool,and case.
looks like its never been used.so after a bit of haggling i swap him for an old fly rod i dont use anymore,and he wants to try fly fishing,
anyone know how old this will be approx.and if they were any good,thought of using it for trotting at longer range than my pin can be used for.as i believe they are good for this.
keith.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

They were made between 1981 and 1983

J

jason fisher

there are some people who fished the trent for silver fish will tell you you've got the best trotting reel there is there

W

Wolfman Woody

I've had all the ABU closed face range before now starting with the 503, 505, 506, 501, 1044, and even now I have the 704. I didn't get the 507 because of its size.

I thought they were made earlier than that Eddie, but I'll take your word for it. I bought my 501 at and auction for ?10 and sold it 5 years later for ?20 and it wasn't in A1 condition, just good. Thing about swaps - you had a load of rubbish that you didn't use, now you got something you can use. You're quids in.

I am stupid, each time I've sold an ABU I knew it was a bad decision. Why do I keep doing it?????

B

Budgie Burgess

Been using 501's for light float and match fishing since they first come out.Brilliant reels.Not quite as good for the stick float as a centrepin but a dam good second best.Number one for the waggler though.Can not fault them and have used nothing yet that I would replace them with.

Kevan Martin

Reaction score
Fantastic reel to use on the river, I own about 20 ABU's, not all for fishing but some in my collection. A mint 501 with box will sell on eBay for about ?80, without box maybe ?35 - 40

W

Wolfman Woody

Different type of reel, I know, but I still have my old Cardinal 54 that I bought new in 82 for about ?14. About 4 years ago one matchman offered me ?45 for it as it was the silent a/r type.

So with what Kevan said - hang on to Abu tackle - it can only appreciate in value.