Who hates carpers?

C

Carp Angler

Ok ladies,
With the constant villification of carpers by all and sundry, let's hear why.
Is it all carp anglers, or are we just talking about the people who camp for the weekend and stick out carp rods because it's easier?

Let's have some justification as well, not just slagging off.

Fire away.......

</cr>

C

Carp Angler

Hi everyone (and Wol, you tart)

I know we're all pretty friendly on here and most of our gripes aren't aimed at individuals on this site, but there is a serious side to my post.
A lot of anglers here see the carping fraternity as those that take over the whole lake, pile in the boilies, sit back, crack a can and puff on some gear.

So is it just the carpers that are disliked?

What about skyliners on the river?

What about the 'barbel angler' that sets up 3 yards above you and sprays hemp all over the river?

What about the tench angler who baits over the top of those rudd that you've just managed to get to the surface?

What about the pike angler who scares away those plump winter roach by throwing half a mackerel in your swim?

Do we dislike selfishness and what should we do about it?

D

Dave Rothery

what annoys me is that we (think) know its "light hearted, but someone browsing the site doesn't and will get put off.

what about the pleasure angler that chucks a load of groundbait next to the spot in the margin you've spent two days trickling bait into....

what should we do? education, not vilification

G

Gary Knowles

Rik,

This thread would be better on the 'General' forum.

After all, those who hate carp/carpers wont visit this part of the website....

Or do you just want carp anglers comments ?

C

Carp Angler

Nothing to hide Barney, so I've moved it here to the 'general' section and let the informed discussion ensue.

Although I can't see any advantage/disadvantage to moving it, all those people that so happily and readily slate carp angling in all its forms seem very adept at visiting and reading the carp forum and copying all the ideas and tactics that have spawned from it.

T

The Monk

welcome back Rik

Carpers, bloody awful things,
especially when I`m carping!

R

Richard Drayson

It's just a minority that give carpers and other anglers a bad reputation.
Genuine carp anglers have, unfortunately, been tarred with the same brush as those who like to go on the bevvy and behave in an anti-social manner whilst fishing.
These people, like those who never bother to buy licences etc, are not real anglers in my view; they just happen to go fishing now and then.
Commercial pits overstocked with fish and with convenient car parking etc make things easy for them.

I'm not against anyone having a few beers, far from it, but due respect and consideration to others should be paramount.

BTW. Great to see you back. I think that your contributions were missed on this site.

G

Gary Knowles

"all those people that so happily and readily slate carp angling in all its forms seem very adept at visiting and reading the carp forum and copying all the ideas and tactics that have spawned from it"

Nah, we just like a good laugh Rik.....

C

Carp Angler

Hi Richard, thanks.

You said
"Genuine carp anglers have, unfortunately, been tarred with the same brush"
Does that mean that the people who 'hate' carpers are blinkered bigots, because they believe that the actions of a minority are a reflection on the majority?

M

Mike Lee

As a carp angler who was once a match angler, I can remember wondering why carp anglers did what they do.

It wasn't until I tried it myself that I realised what the attraction is.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that It's easy to tolerate what other people do but harder to UNDERSTAND what other people do.

Education IS better than villification.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Wecome back Rik.

Make no mistake I have had a great deal of success using some of your rigs, siutably modified, for barbel.

I have nothing against carp anglers at all. The only thing I have against a few of them are those that believe that carp are the only fish worth catching and who chuck four rods out at distance covering a large amount of water that the makes it difficult for anglers after other species to fish.

D

Dave Slater

Rik,
It would be very wrong of me to say I hate carp anglers because this would include people who I have a lot of time for. What I do hate is some of the mindless morons that call themselves anglers. As carp angling is so popular it does, unfortunately, attract more than it's share of these people, as does barbel fishing and pike fishing. They don't seem to fish for less fashionable fish like chub and roach, fortunately for those of us who prefer fishing for these species. I agree with Mike Lee that education is better than vilification. Perhaps the good carp anglers, who are the majority, should try and guide these people.

R

Richard Drayson

Rik,
I don't think that all people who hate carp anglers are blinkered idiots, far from it. The actions of a minority do reflect on the majority though I feel.

The analogy is similar to those who think that all youngsters are vandals - once you've been on the receiving end you do become suspicious of them all.
The same as door-to-door salesmen who now have to carry ID to allay householders fears.

T

The Monk

whats this Ron
"I have nothing against Carp Anglers"

hahaha

you were one of the buggers that started it all?