Edited letters

J

John Hepworth

What are your views on editing submitted letter etc? Although I have yet to see it, a letter I wrote recently published the CSG magazine has been drastically edited/cut. Although the letter told a few home truths, there was nothing in to cause offence, but from what I have heard from a fellow member to whom I showed the original before submission, a good two thirds has been cut.

P

Phil Hackett

Editors sadly will always edit letters if at all possible. Space reason they’ll claim. The trick is to write it in such away that they can’t edit other than comers, hyphens and so on. Keep the letter short and to the point and as general rule they leave it alone if they print it.

J

John Hepworth

Phil, Space is not a factor in this case. In the last editorial the editor was begging for material. From what I have been told, over two thirds of three A4 pages have been cut, hardly dotting the i's or crossing the t's.
The letter contained issues that several members have concerns about.
I may consider copying the letter to all members as I feel so strongly about it, could even post it on here!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Again, we have evidence of why forum's like this one are supporters of free speech and not just frequented by 'trogs' as one well known columnist claimed recently. Although as editor/moderator of this forum I do uphold my right to edit or moderate when I consider it necessary. There HAS to be some kind of control or any publication/website would degenerate into the gutter.

I don't claim for one second that that was the case with John's letter.

What I suggest that John does is copy the the whole of his submitted letter to this forum in one message and then the edited letter in another, and then we can debate the reason for the editing.

J

John Hepworth

Thank you Graham. I am waiting to see first hand as it were just what has been cut, but two thirds is more than just editing. Although much of the content concerned the internal workings of the CSG, of which I have been a member of for almost 20 years, in the main supported it to the hilt and was for a four year period Group Secretary, I feel that the editing out of my views and thoughts are to say the least, undemocratic. Whether or not my opinion is shared by any other member, I believe I have the right to put them to the membership. AND this was not for general publication, but restricted to group members.

C

Chris Bishop

You cut things down to put them in the proper style, maximise the space available and sometimes remove potential libels.

D

Dave Slater

John, If you want to E_mail me your letter I will have a look and let you know if I can see any reason why it may have been edited.

W

Wolfman Woody

I have written many letters to Coarse Fisherman, some funny, some controversial, but always within (or very close to) the 500 word limit they insist on. They have never removed so much as one word!

I have also written to Anglers Mail and again I usually get published in full as I stick to the point and keep it short (as Phil Hackett says above). However, there are other publications that like to edit whatever, I suppose to show that they have the right and power so to do.

There are ways to write letters that are structured and which make them less likely to be edited. It's a knack, but I'm sure there's plenty of people here to help you summarize your points without losing the force. However, someone always gets the wrong end of the stick...

D

Dave Slater

Jeff, the magazine John is referring to is an internal magazine limited to a membership of about 60. The criteria would be very different to Angler Mail or similar as it is read by a very different audience. There has never been a limit on how much to write and some of the articles are lengthy. As we all know each other quite well we put things in that would not be printed if the magazine was available outside the group. There has been a shortage of material at times in the past and, as the magazine is not for distribution outside the Chub Study Group, I cannot think why John's letter would have been cut.

J

John Hepworth

Dave,
To date I have not received the magazine, but from what Dave B tells me a good two thirds has been taken out (I sent both Dave and Nigel a copy prior to posting to Tony) I could be wrong, and if I am I will apologise. There was piece in about the print which Tony said he would cut, but I think I have the right to have a view on these matters, whether it goes against the grain or not.

Jeff,
I have had one letter edited by Anglers Mail, but that was because I criticised a product of one of their advertisers,(but the editor had the balls to tell me so) and one by Angling Times because I told them that one of their article writers was talking a load of c**p in an article about dace fishing on the Wear. No such courtesey from the AT though.

W

Wolfman Woody

I see what you and Dave are saying, not a big group and always in search of material.

All I can think is that some people just can't stand criticism or just don't like being questionned. My attitude is, if you can't develop a thick skin, wear two coats.

AT are like that, John. Best winning letters in AT are those that sing the praises of AT. It's always been like that.

D

Dave Slater

John,
I think you have a right to express your views regardless of what others think of them. I was a bit sceptical about the print myself but I am very pleased with the finished product. Talking to Dave Ivey I believe it has made quite a bit of money for the group which could go towards producing a second book. Dave thinks this would be a good idea and I agree with him. I am surprised you have not had your Chevin yet. Mine arrived a few days ago. I see your letter has been printed. There is quite a lot there so I wonder what has been cut. I would be interested in seeing it if you want to E_mail it to me. Perhaps I should get Dave Gamble to give you a call from one of his mobiles to discuss your letter. How about 3.15 a.m. !!

J

John Hepworth

Dave, with regards to the Dave G suggestion, the second word in my answer is "off". Still getting the text messages. Did you hear of the article he sentb to Tony by text from his 'phone?

R

Richard Drayson

John, Dave,
I'm still waiting for my copy of the magazine to arrive so I cannot make any comment yet.
John, would you care to email me a copy of the original for perusal.
I'm itching to find out what's going on here.

N

Nick Austin

I think EVERYONE wants to know whats going on now!!!!!...hahahahah....go on....print it somewhere on here!