Low Breaking Strain Fluorocarbons

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have experience of using low breaking strain fluorocarbons for chub fishing? I'm considering lines in the 2lbs to 4lbs range for floatfishing.

Do they fool the fish?
Are they tough enough?
What brands have you tried?

I'm currently using regular lines like Maxima for main line and Ignesti Special or Reflo Powerline as hook lengths in 0.12mm or 0.14. Equivalent fluoro 2lb is 0.15mm but supposed to retain strength when wet.

What are your views? I know Graham uses 10lb fluoro for barbel.
regards - Mark

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I have used Virage in 3 lb for roach fishing and Stren in 6 lb for chub fishing with good effect.

This has been mnentioned many time before but GOOD fluoro does not lose its strength due to contact with water or ultraviolet. Fluorocabon lines are made from Polyvinylidene Fluoride which is inherently hydrophobic, which means it will repel water. Nylon actually absorbs water.

J

John Pleasance

Hi Mark,I've not used any low b/s strain stuff,but I've got complete faith in Drennan Fluoro fly leader in 8lb for barbel fishing.

I'm sure that lower b/s are available in the same stuff.

J

jason fisher

used 5 lb virage for all sorts of stuff and had had barble to 12 lb on it
drennan pole master is fine till you get down to 1lb then it's a sod for kinking when you tie it.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The Stren and Seaguar lines are truly excellent by the way and only ?6.00 for 250 yard spools

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark,

I have been using the Drennan flurocarbon (polemaster?) during this season in 31/2 b/s and Stren at 6lb for roach and chub fishing on the Avon.
The Stren is exceptionally good but a little thick compared to the b/s rating for my liking, although being virtually "invisible" that is not too much of a problem.
The Drennan lines are a little softer, but again thicker for the b/s than mono.
The only slight problem is when tying a hook the resulting knot appears to be 'chunkier' than I am used to with momo lines.
All in all I would recommend that you give them a try. If we get that day after roach and chub then you can try mine.