That's just how it happened

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

Indeed the Hampshire Avon is one of the most beautiful rivers in our land.

I will be back Peter, I will be back.

What about March?

D

Dave Slater

Ron,
The Avon is indeed a lovely river. The Stour is not as nice but is better from a fishing point of view. I will be taking Peter on the Stour fairly soon. Both rivers would be a good bet in March.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron,

March is fine for me if you would like another trip. Jerst let me know, okay?

I am back at the cottage now for a couple of weeks but have only had a couple of sessions so far. A few grayling and a perch about a pound have been the rewards on the low and still clear river.

Fished with Nigel on Saturday, the best part of the day being the fish and chip supper in Salisbury :)

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Oh those fish and chips.

Better than in Rotherham....:eek:)

E

Eric Hayes

I'm Sorry but I wouldn't swap you the Avon and the stour put together for any 1 mile of the River Ribble. Well you only have to look at the venue reports don't you. ;o)

J

John Pleasance

Hi Peter,
I wouldn't have worried about the cow disturbing the swim.I had an experience on the Stour a few years back, fishing the only deeper bit of water(about 4'0") in this particular area.
A couple of young girls thought it would be fun to ride their horses through the swim, which they did a couple of times,the barbel & chub moved out but were back feeding within ten minutes.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Of course.

Some years ago I had a pleasant morning's fishing on the Severn opposite the Winterdyne Stretch. I had caught 4 nice barbel to 8 lbs and a couple of chub to 4 lbs.

It was a warm morning and at about 11-30 am a couple of extremely nubile young girls, who had been watching me fish; and had even clapped when I netted a chub, decided to have a swim.

As I was packing up, one of the girls stripped off down to panties and vest and jumped into the river.

She called to me to join her.

What would you have done?

This is a true story by the way.

T

The Monk

she wouldnt have had to ask me a second time Ron!

On animals in water, I used to fish a carp lake which had a cow drink, carp would wade in the lake and the carp would stay in the same area, yet If I tried to sneak over, the carp would scatter!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Monk, thanks, I used to fish a lake like that with very similar results. The Carp seemed to accept the cows, but scattered if they caught sight on an angler.

John, I know I should have carried on, but to tell the truth, this was our 11th day in a row fishing the river and we were both a bit tired. The next day we went to Christchurch Harbour after the Mullet (who were not too cooperative) thereby finishing off 12 days on the trot.
That was the longest stint I have ever fished and have to say that I was quite tired when I got back home.

Ron,
Having caught well earlier, and in my younger days, I would have been tempted to join the young lady in question.
Whoa, wait a minute, I can't swim, maybe the young lady might have saved me?