Rules is Rules

N

Nick Austin

There seems to be more and more RULES in our fisheries at the moment, possibly due to the increased popularity in commercial carp fishing.
Personaly it's not something that particularly bothers me, but everyone says how good THE METHOD is, but it's not allowed in many lakes around here (berks)
There also seels to be a general BAN on the use of most particles...some fisheries ONLY allow the use of shop prepared particles.....including hemp.
Barbed versus Barbless, with the current RMC ruling on hooks fresh in our minds.
What would YOUR sensible list of rules be?
Mine is.....
1) Only the Use of properly prepared particles.
2) Only the use of fish friendly rigs
3) NO LITTER to be left in swims
4) Unhooking mats and landing nets compulsory..
5) Barbless hooks only

C

Cakey

1) No particles.
2) Only the use of fish friendly rigs
3) NO LITTER to be left in swims
4) Unhooking mats and landing nets compulsory..
5) Barbed hooks only
6) Only me allowed to fish.

J

John Pleasance

1) Do nothing detrimental to the welfare of the fish.
2)Do nothing which will interfere with other anglers.
3)Do nothing which might jeopardise the rights to fish, for yourself or other anglers.

R

Richard Drayson

"Rules are for the obedience of the inexperienced and the guidance of wise men." Unknown author.

Looks like John has been reading the Countryside Code which I have pasted below.

1. Enjoy the countryside and respect its life and work.
2. Guard against all risk of fire.
3. Fasten all gates.
4. Keep your dogs under close control.
5. Keep to public paths across farmland.
6. Use gates and stiles to cross fences, hedges and walls.
7. Leave livestock, crops and machinery alone.
8. Take your litter home.
9. Help to keep all water clean.
10. Protect wildlife, plants and trees.
11. Take special care on country roads.
12. Make no unnecessary noise.

D

Dave Rothery

why no particles? look at birch grove/harefield/selby/etc/etc during the "particle" era. lots of anaemic lizard looking fish. once boilies became "in" again, the fish piled on weight and got better conditioned. thats why. try living on a diet of peanuts.

to be fair, wouldnt ban but make people use in moderation. but people being people dont, so they would end up being banned anyway! thats what happened at horseshoe with tigers.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

And mine, you aint got enough wonga to buy one on ya own. Where is our lake then?

C

Cakey

Only joking.
I kept carp (2xdoubles in a huge tank)and Ive seen what particles do,ie tiger nuts dont get digested they poo them out and they eat them again only to poo em out again.
Anything with shells ie hemp tares etc the shells get pooed out to rot on the bottom.
Even sweetcorn the skins get pooed out to rot.

W

Wolfman Woody

I just had a bailif saw some rubber bread (I haven't use it yet) in my box and said "That won't be allowed soon." When I asked him why he said HE didn't like it and was going to ask for a rule to ban it.

He backed it by saying the rubber could get stuck in a fish's gut and it wouldn't be able to crap it out. I asked had he never see a fish throw something up again - and - hasn't it somehow got to come off the hook first?

He said it would easily come off, but when I gave him a piece with a barbless hook in it he could hardly moved the bread along the shank. Why when a new idea comes out do some kill-joys just want to ban things?

Or do you know something about ruberised baits?

W

Wolfman Woody

Oh - he also said how rubberised sweetcorn was okay because HE uses it? Funny that!

D

Dave Rothery

one of the tackle shop owners told me he heard one of the known big carp died because of a rubber bait getting stuck on its gut. hmmmmmmm. not sure i agree (which known fish?) - seeing as how they can crap out most things.

T

The Monk

carp will pass most things, they don`t have a stomach, but a gut tract, technically quite an inefficient animal really

N

Nick Austin

I dont think it will be long before
"NO ARTIFICIAL BAITS" is another common rule we will see.

I'm not sure about this...maybe CAKEY could tell us what happens to maize in a fishes digestive system, cos i cant see that being much different to rubber corn....?

AND what about products like KRYSTON DOPPPLE GANGER which is food based but could be seen as "artificial" where does that fit into it all!

Barbless v barb.......discussed in many other forums...

Can any one tell me why FLOATER FISHING is banned on many lakes (normally the more commercial enterprises)..is it just because it's too easy?...

W

Wolfman Woody

Dave, this is the same story this guy told me - is it a scare tactic or fact?

I agree with Monk, except that they are quite efficient at vommitting, if that's the term. At least my carp in the pond are. Something they don't want and out it comes like a bullet.

A benefit I heard to using rubberised bread is you can soak it in any flavouring first, therefore making it more attractive to fish and angler.

N

Nick Austin

sorry MONK we posted at the same time ....
so fish dont have a digestive system as such?

F

Fred Bonney

floater fishing is banned to protect the wildfowl by some fisheries,you know how daft ducks are!

J

John Hepworth

Jeff, Re Plastic Bread: I have to say I'm of the same opinion as your bailiff friend. In the size that I saw it being used I came to the same conclusion about a fish not being able to pass it through. Sad old git that I am, I have recommended that a careful watch is kept on its use on my club's only stillwater.