Catch and Release

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

In a recent Digital Dairy, Graham told us of the fact that at Pennine Fishery near Littleborough, they don't allow weighing an photography of fish that are to be released. Personally I think this is a reasonable rule as trout are not like other species. You can't play about with htem on the bank and expect them to swim away like coarse fish.

I have fished many waters that have offered a catch and release ticket and quite honestly I have been disgusted with the way trout have been treated before they have been set free.

You know what happens next? Dead trout all over the place. I've seen it so many times. And such a waste.

Any trout that is to be released must NOT be removed from the water. Best way to do this is to use a fine meshed landing net - the sort that is used for coarse fishing. Enmesh the trout but do not lift it from the water. Grab the hook, which should be de-barbed and remove it. Then release the trout.

If you want to weigh and photograph the fish, then you must kill it and pay for it. Simple as that.

on one of my local lakes, I normally take out a ticket for a 3 fish limit plus 6 fish C&R. I always like to bring a few fish home to eat. There is nothing to beat a really fresh trout caught and cooked that day.

The secret of making trout into a really delicious meal is the get the guts out of the fish as soon as possible. And that means the removal of the gills and the blood line down the back-bone. For this reason I would like to see more facilities provided at trout fisheries for cleaning your catch.

One of the problems with catch and release is that it can make the fish very difficult to catch. They become very suspicious artificial flies indeed. Trout fisheries can only really exist if there is a regular turn over of fish caught and fish stocked.