Characters in Angling

R

Ron Clay

Those of us who have been fishing for some time will have tales of some of the characters they have met or fished with over the years. I remember fondly many days spent with some truly great characters. However the angler to me who was the greatest was the legendary Ray Webb. Some of you like Graham, who like me is pushing 60 will remember Ray. Although an eccentric he was one of the great pioneers of big fish hunting, especially for pike, in the sixties.

Let's have stories of your most unforgettable characters.

S

sam oddy

I remember Ray Webb from the fishing press in the 60's. I particularly recall that he took early retirement to go full time fishing and relocated to Market Downham.

A bloke I would love to have met was Bill Quinlan(?)- I read a long interview between him and I think Kevin Clifford in the short lived but much missed Specimen Angling World. In many ways he was towards the front of the pioneers but appeared to manage to have a laugh along the way.

R

Ron Clay

Very much so. I met Bill Quinlan in 1964. Where ever he went he carried with him is tea making gear and he always brewed up with water from the river or lake he was fishing; and he always offered you a cup and you daren't refuse for fear of offending him. Read Frank Guttfield's "In Search of Big Fish". He give a few lovely anecdotes about Bill's tea making activities.

Ray Webb used to use old biscuit tins, the same that he used for worms, to cook up his food. He had an old pre-war primus stove that always worked first time. It was one of his most prized possessions. If you lit it it was nearly alway guaranteed to produce a run when pike fishing

David Preston

Reaction score
I met Benny Ashurst while fishing 3 or 4 years ago. He was asking about how the beachcaster rig worked for carp. That's the sign of a 'great' - still inquisitive and keen to learn (and not shy to ask) at 80-odd.

Then he regaled us with a few experiences from his fishing life for the best part of an hour. Made my day!