Withy pool rig

Tim Birch

Reaction score
I am thinking of utilising the withy pool rig this winter and wondered if anyone has any experience of this rig they would be willing to share?

D

Dave Rothery

when using a new rig, ask yourself:

why
whats wrong with existing rig
what will new rig do that old one doesnt

good rig in principle, but i dont think its caught me any fish a normal one wouldnt

Tim Birch

Reaction score
I know there are some large though finicky carp in there, and managed 2 at an earlier occasion using short multistrand hooklengths and a medusa rig, but has now dried up.

D

Dave Rothery

why the withy rig as opposed to any other? have you tried really long (18"+) hooklengths? have you seen fish feeding and just getting the odd bleep etc? you've got to analyse things like these, rather than just trying the newest "wonder rig".

hope i'm not teaching you to suck eggs.....

C

Carp Angler

Rig choice should be based on the bait you are presenting and the lake bed you are presenting it on, it should not be based on armchair supposition or fashion.

Ask yourself what you are trying to achieve and the rig question should be part of the overall jigsaw puzzle that will solve your current problems.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Rik, you just beat me to it, I was going to say the same thing. Rigs have become 'trendy', changing with the latest fad of a 'name'. You just have to remember that it should be the bait, the fish, and the venue that drive rig changes, not anglers.

C

Carp Angler

I've just re-visited one of my old articles about rigs here and the questions posed still remain the same and should be used when deciding on rig choice.

D

Dave Rothery

ive just read carpworld for the first time in ages - lee jackson article was great as it had nothing to do with rigs/baits/etc!
had to laugh when in mike kavanaghs rig world the "rig to trick wary carp" it was a 10" braid hooklenth knotless knotted to a bottom bait. advanced rigs indeed! and this caught 3 40's from yatley

D

Dave Rothery

..most of the rigs i've seen used a withy aint withy pool rigs!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Me and Eddie had an old mate who had a Jip Rig.

B

Budgie Burgess

From what Ive seen most carp rigs are developed out of boredom rather than nessesity.

Tim Birch

Reaction score
I did'nt realise this was a 'new' rig, just saw it as something I've never used and thought may be worth trying for the larger carp in the venue.

Most other rigs I've seen people using on the venue seam to be based around the bog standard 8" braid with Hair, so wondered if it was something the carp may not have seen before and may not know how to deal with.

I do believe carp are mouthing the bait and getting away with it mainly due to the odd bleep (using leadcore and backlead so probably not linebites, anyway just have this gut feeling which usually I find worth following).

Dave, I think I am being analytical and as far as teaching me to suck eggs, you probably have more you could teach me than I could you.

On the other rod I'm thinking of sticking more to running rigs, long hairs, multistrand etc, but if you don't try you never know.

You never know I may even give this mousetrap rig ( or some version of it ) a go as described in this months Advanced Carp fishing Mag. As long as an Idea seams feasable then it may be worth a try, and if you don't try......

D

Dave Rothery

as you say tim, if everyones using 8" braid hooklinks, then try 4" or 18". or stiff rigs. withy is just an exagerated bent hook rig imho.

L

Les Clark

Tim,Has Dave as said,try something else rather than what`s the going rig,it dont allway`s work ,but when it does you may have the edge plus a buzz.

N

Nick Austin

The beauty of fishing multi rod set ups is the ability to try new ideas (or to be correct "new to the water").....and not jeoperdise the whole trip, so ye, why not give it a go.....
saying that i would personaly be more inclined to stick with the simple rig and vary the materials..ie line, hook,hair lengh,rig lenght, but again thats IMHO.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"Jip rig" --
Jip was a horse that was always in a field where we fished He was a stallion and very well hung -----and so was this mate of ours ----Hence Grahams comment

"Me and Eddie had an old mate who had a Jip Rig."

D

Dave Rothery

the problem with trying rigs/baits is yes, you might catch on the new rig/bait, but whats to say you wouldnt have caught on the "old" one? the only way you'll ever know is by watching them. its the same with trout fishing, i used to use a marrow spoon to see what they were feeding on, and you'd find they were stuffed full of tiny buzzers.....but then you'd just taken it on a size 6 montana......