On the chub trail (part two)

B

Barry Fleming

An excellent second part to what is looking to be a very good and informative piece of work over a number of years, and some excellent photographs.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
What a good follow-up to part one Dave.

The only question I have is; do you save your fishing hats and caps when they are 'retired' or what?

Looking forward to part 3.

D

Dave Slater

No, I still have them Peter. They occasinally caome out of retirements. More silly hats in part 3.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Dave, I have to say that I was so impressed with your fleece hat last week that I went out the next day and bought one myself.

Any chance of a "sick note" day next week?

D

Dave Slater

No chance at all Peter. It is the busiest week of the year, finishing estimates off. I will be fishing the Stour all day this Saturday. If you fancy joining me please phone me. I will be in this evening and tomorrow evening.

R

Richard Drayson

Have to agree with Peter and Barry, an invaluable insight into chub and chub fishing.

Richard Savage

Reaction score
I have seen that Chub can be accounted for mince and strips of steak, these being very bloody baits, (well the steak can be, not so much the mince though.) So are the fish goin for the scent of the blood coming from the bait? If so would black pudding or liver ,used on a hair rig or directly on the hook have the same effect? These can be considerably cheaper. (And I`m rather partial to a bit of steak.) Whilst on the subject of bait selection for these fish, would lamphrey chunks have the same effect, with the amount of blood that oozes out of these fish?

D

Dave Slater

I am sure these would all be good chub catchers. I am reluctant to use them on the stretches of river I fish due to the numbers of pike present.

simon cooper

Reaction score
Only just discovered this site & a thoroughly enjoyable article .Can't wait for more hats & large chub in part 3!

J

jason fisher

richard yes lamprey works as does sardine for chub, you have to use really small chunks though, about half an inch

A

Andy Nellist

I spent some time using deadbaits about 10 years ago and mackeral was without doubt the best bait. On two different waters I has runs within 30 mins of the start of the first session. Not bad for "virgin" waters. Chunks fished on Vic Bellar's size 8 doubles tied on with elastic thread did the trick.

J

jason fisher

shhhh,
i bought some sardines and mackerel today to try out on the thames next week.

A

Andy Nellist

ssshhhh indeed i'll be out and about on old father Thames this Saturday. Best keep it quiet form the circus since Martin Bowler was a blabbing this week.

Loved him since the moment I met him back in '89 when he was a carp angler who hated tench Roach Bream etc etc :eek:)

A

Andy Nellist

On the article, Dave goood as ever !!! Makes a very pleasant change to read it how it was rather that tarted up with tinsel and lights. Chubbing is often frustrating, normally challenging and rarely dull with red letter days usually the result of a lot of hard work. I look forward to the next in the series :eek:)

J

jason fisher

Andy is that in the weeklies, i didn't get em till today so haven't read em yet they're on the table unopened,
if so it will be about the 4th time this year that i've thought of some thing to try out and then found it in a mag within a month.
problem is i havent tried out the mackerel yet.

D

Dave Slater

Welcome to the site Simon. I am sure you will enjoy it. You will see postings and articles from a few people you know well. Thanks for all the help on the Stour when I first moved down.
Good luck on the Thames Andy. I have tried deabbaits and portions on stillwaters without success. Just shows that every water is different. There are so many jack pike on most of the river stretches I fish that I daren't use them there.

R

Richard Drayson

Simon, great to see you've found this site.
As Dave says, I'm sure you'll recognise several people on here.
How are things down in the West Country?
Rivers are still pitifully low in Hants/Dorset.

On the subject of deadbaits, I spoke to Alan Tomkins last year and he told me that he hooked one of the biggest chub he had ever seen in his life on a deadbait.
He lost the fish before he could get it to the net.

J

jason fisher

think i'll start a thread on fish baits for chub that should be interesting

J

jason fisher

andy
not only is martin bowler on about the thames but keith arthur is talking about records coming from the thames in the back too.
we'd better get the bivvies out or we won't get a peg.

J

jason fisher

this is all because of the rumours of a 6lb perch coming from the river.
i know exactly where it came from if it did come out.
the problems i have with it being caught at all are.
a couple of months ago one of the witnesses to the fish told me the stretch that it came out of and said it came out in the first half of last week.
i fished the stretch every day monday to thursday that week.
on the monday i was fishing 2 pegs away from the one it was supposed to have come out of. i didn't see it.
on the tuesday i was fishing the peg next to the one it was supposed to come out of, i didn't see it.
on the wednesday and thursday i fished the peg that it came out of, I didn't catch it.
i was fishing all day till late all 4 days.
my conclusion from this is it wasn't actually caught at all.
the sooner this gets onto the grapevine the happier i will be.