The Continuing Story of the Red Signal Crayfish

Kevin Thornton

Reaction score
So, one of the last remaining strongholds of the White Clawed Crayfish is under threat following the discovery of Red Signals in the Rivers Wansbeck and Aln. It’s a good thing the Environment Agency has discovered them now before it’s too late. Let me tell you, it’s already too late and the emergency measures that the EA have put out won’t have any effect at all!

The EA states, the following emergency measures.

The bid to stop the spread of the signal crayfish into rivers which are home to the smaller, native white-clawed crayfish, includes:

 Disinfection procedures. This can be as simple as ensuring angling equipment is thoroughly dry when moving between rivers. (Good advice but this will only help prevent the spread of crayfish plague, it won’t stop the spread of Red Signals).

 A halt to the transfer of fish from the Derwent to catchments which are home to native crayfish. (Again, a sensible measure, but this probably means that no licences to trap fish will be issued, and, as we know, in the eyes of the EA, for fish, read crayfish. The Red Signals will be allowed to remain where they are!)

 Informing everyone about the problem and how to prevent the spread to important crayfish rivers (Enough said I think!)

J

jason fisher

it's good that they've acted now ours are almost extinct isn't it.

T

The Monk

their own ecologists missed a white claw colony in my local Rochdale Canal until I pointed it out in my local newspapers. Many years ago the old NRA commissioned a national survey with Nottingham University in order to show the range of native A palipies. I`m not quite sure what they actually did with it though?

S

Steve King

It's very sad that our own native crayfish is so very near to extinction.

Does anyone know how the Welsh rivers are doing?

D

Danny Lancaster

Dunno about the Welsh Rivers, but the local paper here in Wigan reported earlier this week that the dreaded Red Signals have colonised a local stillwater - Walsmleys Pond if anyone is familiar with the area.

They say the crays eggs probably got carried into the pond on the legs of birds that came into the area. Is nowhere safe from these things??

Kevin Thornton

Reaction score
Before anyone considers setting a few traps to help clear out the Red Signals, let me tell you about a guy from Oxford who was recently fined ?900 pounds and ordered to pay ?250 in court costs. The case was bought by the Environment Agency because he didn't have a licence. The EA spokesperson said, " As it is free to obtain consent it is disapointing when we have to take costly court action in order to be sure that people comply with the legislation.
The guy was prosecuted under Section 27 of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975.

Anyone wishing to know how to apply for a licence should read <a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=2697&SP=&v=1>'The Alien Invader'</A>

A

Andy Nellist

Get your flat caps and cameras ready for all those monster Chub and Perch shots :eek:)

paul nugent

Reaction score
i actually have seen a Red Signal crayfish in the river cole in birmingham id neva seen any type of cray fish in this river and have fishedit since i was 8 and now am 24 be good all

newbieneil

Reaction score
I have fished the river blythe in coleshill,birmingham 3 times over the last 6 months and twice i have caught a signal crayfish,not to mention,the other time i was with some mates-and my mate caught about 2 or three!...theyre massive aswell!...literally about 6-8inches long!...at the one stretch some bloke who lived local was collecting them to cook and eat! yuk! right rough!!!!!...i cant even go near the bleeders,they make my flesh crawl!lol

C

Cakey

I should think its all changed now .....this thread is 5 years old