Flask

E

Eric Hayes

How the Hell do you get that Brown scale like stuff out of a stainless flask? I've tried scrubbing but it?s hard to get into the flask especially around the neck area, I've even tried bleach to no avail. Any advice would be appreciated.

W

Wag

A spoonful of bicarb and top up with boling water - but stand it in the sink as bubbles all over if you pour it in too quick.
Leave it to stand for 30 minutes and give it a rinse. Works like a dream.

W

Wolfman Woody

I shouldn't worry about it too much Eric, but i wouldn't use bleach either as it can leave an after taste.

Try a spoonful of bicarbinate of soda in warm water and leave it to stand for a few days. It may not shift the stain, but it does sterilise without leaving any taste.

R

Richard Drayson

For really stubborn stains try a couple of teaspoons of washing powder and top-up with very hot water. Leave overnight then rinse. Always works for me.

P

Paul Christie

The bicarb really works well. I had one that was coated in 8 years of brown crap. I half filled it a few times with boiling water and good helping of bicarb and gave it a really good shake about for 30 seconds(watch out when you loosen the top, use a towel or something as pressure builds up inside). Then refilled with water and bicab and left it to stand over night. It looks like brand new inside now.

E

Eric Hayes

Nice one chaps, I was thinking of using Sterident but I thought it may leave a foul taste like the Bleach did, I had tried Bicarb but it only got rid of the bleachy smell. I will give it another good soak with Bicarb then if that doesn?t work I'll have a do at Dave?s Sterident method.

It looks like the owd las next door could be getting a visit?????.

G

Gary Knowles

Why clean it ?

That lovely brown stain adds character, in fact I think it's the only thing holding my flask together !!!!!

J

John Pleasance

If you read the instructions that come with your s/s flask it will almost certainly tell you not to use bleach.

I had to buy a new flask after ignoring the advice.

Bi-carb works fine if you use boiling water with it; works with ordinary glass flasks as well.

One more thing about s/s flasks,although they are unbreakable,if you dent the outer skin sufficiently they will not retain the heat particularly well.

E

EC

Bleach does work if you dilute it with boiling water and leave it overnight, BUT it can oxidize the surface and render your flask useless if you use too much (or do it too often).

J

Jack Pike

Soak your hemp seed in it overnight with boiling water pefect hemp in the morning and a nutty taste to your coffee

W

Wolfman Woody

Anybody ever had Black Peas? Northern they are. A bean really, but prepared very much like mushy peas.

My old mate did some once, cooked them lovely and put some in a flask for sea fishing. Plastic spoon to eat them with.

Only thing he didn't think about was - they kept on cooking and by the time he opened them they were like concrete. The plastic spoon broke inside and he ended up throwing the whole lot into a waste basket in Bridlington.

J

John Pleasance

Eddie,that's what I did with mine,about half an inch of bleach and then filled it with boiling water.

The next day after I had rinsed it out and filled it with hot water it was obvious that something was not right because the outside of the flask was hot to the touch,and it doesn't retain the heat at all hardly.

I can only assume that there is some sort of seal inside which was affected by the bleach.

When I get some spare time I intend to cut the thing in half and investigate.

E

EC

Theres a conector between the inner and outer casing John, it gets oxidized if you use bleach too strong.
Best way is to use a small amount of bleach with boiling water then rinse after an hour or so and repeat. Doing it this way takes longer but isnt as harsh, that said I got a scrubbing brush which can get inside past the flask neck and right inside!

S

Steve King

I use washing soda - around 1 tablespoon with hot water overnight. So far no probs - rinse twice no after-taste!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I bin it and buy a new one, that washing up lark just aint on.

P

Phil Heaton

No need to waste time cleaning it, do same as me and regularly break it, you get the benefit of always having the latest colour.
Seriously, a short soak in washing up liquid and hot water then a scrub with a long handled brush is all thats required.