Commercial Cod Ban

D

Davy North

What do people think about the proposed commercial cod bans. Is it a step in the right direction? Will it help rod & line catches. More to the point will it help me catch cod without the need to climb down cliffs on a rope, I'm a bit of a wuzz when it comes to heights!

P

p jackson

commercial cod bans will work and should be rotated around the coast this will allow the fish to breed thus giving time for cod etc to grow and hopfully reach breeding size. it should also help with rod & line catches as there will be more fish. as for the heights each to there own

D

Davy North

Some of the marks round here would make the Milk Tray man think twice!

A

Alan Roe

A total moritorium on commercial fishing for five years would be a better plan!!
Effecivly this what happened during the last war and lead to the seas being full of fish for years after

R

Rob Brownfield

We should slaughter all seals, seabirds, sea otters and anything else that eats fish. Then we should destroy the sea bed with trawl nets, rip up spawning grounds and decimate the shrimp, prawn and sandeel populations....then the fishing will improve...won't it?

A

Alan Roe

Forgive me for being somewhat obtuse but nobody is suggesting any of these things.
rather the opposite.
There would be plenty of fish for the birds seal and man if he wasn't so greedy.
The point is that the current ban is nowhere enough to allow stocks to recover.
a vastly more significant moritorium is needed to give the seas a chance if it does'nt happen then the rape of the seas will be ended soon enough by virtue of the extinction of the fish in them

P

p jackson

rob you forgot one we should put all our crap in there to

J

John Spink

The "cod bans" as proposed won't do a damn thing to help Cod or any other fish in the long term..This is because they are political and not based on a scientific or even a commonsense approach.The most recent attempts are are a knee jerk response to the scientists belief that Cod is now endangered (not totally true).The problem is that the remedy is/has to be bound up to the politics of the EU so Britain has to provide solutions that meet with EU approval.It is easy to blame commercial fishermen as they are the most visible target but remember they are only trying to make a living inside the Common Fisheries Policy and it is this that leads to overfishing,discards of immature fish etc...The UK government also does not care two hoots about our waters or our fishermen...why else did they allow the slaughter of immature haddocks here in Scotland?? The fisherman asked for money to tie up....refused!!! So they had to fish outside the cod closure areas or go bankrupt!! Result...tons of dead haddock...Read the Fishing News sometime and see the amount of specimen saithe the trawlers have to dump....See how upset they are (and Not just because of money!!!).Our commercials are NOT perfect but they are mostly decent blokes trying to make a living doing what they have done for years....As Anglers we should join and support their new conservation initiatives (and disagree if we don't like it)and add our voices on issues like zonal management etc.We are all marine exploiters and shopuld work together to achieve a healthy future for our stocks....

P.S.Let's try not to be too sanctimonious...I have killed a few tons of sea fish in my time...The rest of you??

D

Davy North

I couldn't agree more. I'm pleased to the rise in catch and release matches, from boat and shore. This stops the sight of piles of unwanted dead fish.

The kill everything attitude in sea angling generally could do with changing. Not to mention the taking of undersize fish with the "I'm only taking it home for the cat" excuise.

However if we're honest it make more sense to return mature fish that have already reached spawning age, if we want to protect stocks, as well as the small immature ones, which through natural mortality rate may never reach that age.

B

Ben Herrington

aren't the spanish fleets allowed to fish our waters? If so this is probably also a cause of our low fish stocks?

J

John Spink

Well yes and no!!Most foreign fleets are allowed limited access (or full access under Flagship arrangements-Foreign vessels under brit flag but owned by europeans elsewhere)The UK government tried to get rid of the latter but were fined by the EU and had to pay a huge fine,mostly to the spaniards!!! I don't think foreigners are the only cause but they do tend to be less well regulated and definately land undersize fish....Go to the fish market on your next Euro holiday and see for yourself!!.We in the UK have done our share of damage too...some through choice and bad fishing practices but mostly through our participation in the EU CFP...I am not a fan of the latter I confess!! I personally think that we can't save our stocks unless we take control of our fisheries again.If that happens we can put some real recovery plans in place....Just look to Iceland or Faroe Islands to see what I mean....go to the latter for a great Cod fishing holiday by the way...It is excellent!!!!
Anyhow guess I have rabbited on enough!!