New forum sort functions

M

Maria Thomas

We've just put up some new forum sort functions on the front page of the forum so you can now pull up lists of the latest 40 Replies | New Discussions | Hot Threads, as well as sorting by topic.

It's just the small, first step in improving the forum (and yes, before you ask, we are working on the forum search, this server move has just got in the way slightly) so tell us if it's useful.

R

Richard Drayson

Very useful and a good idea as it saves time.
Seeing as you mentioned the search facility, that too was very useful and I think many of us are looking forward to its return.

J

John Pleasance

It took me a while to find it.Can you change the colour a bit?

I think I'll find the search facility much more useful when it eventually comes back.

W

Wolfman Woody

It's useful, but it mixes the topics which include the over 18 section. Much as thats useful to most of us adults wanting a bit of banter is it wise to show them to younger surfers?

Just that the main heading does warn it could be offensive, but when displayed this way the warning is not shown.

J

John Pleasance

Good point Jeff.

BTW I can see the headings now. Did I do that? Thanks Maria

D

Dave Rothery

oi maria, thought you said fishing was for wierdo's....or is the lack of surf getting to you? ;p

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
She never told me that, now I know why she looks at me in a funny way when I go to meetings.

M

Maria Thomas

Jeff, good point, will mention it to the boffins.

Dave, I never did! But yes, the lack of surf is getting to me, just had to cancel a trip planned for this weekend...

Don't believe him Graham, I never said it, nor wrote it. As to whether I thought... [message curtailed for the sake of the writer's public safety]

D

Dave Slater

Graham,
I am now using this facility regularly. It is particularly useful when at work as I can go in and all threads which have postings since last time I looked say NEW. This is great. It means I only have to be on the site for a couple of minutes to see all new postings. If I had to go into all of the separate sections there would not be sufficient time to look at busy times. The site can be gone through in more detail at home. I am sure many others are in the same position. Jeff does have a point but I think the ease of access outweighs the odd dodgy thread that a youngster may look at. I am sure most of them look at things far worse than our Baitbox section anyway. A very useful addition to the site.

J

John Pleasance

Must admit I find the "latest replies" more useful than I thought I would.

I still open up each section in a new window if I've not been on line all day,but for a quick look later on, the new feature is excellent.

W

Wolfman Woody

Is it just my machine, but the "NEW" flag only remains until you've read ONE of the threads. It then disappears so when you go into another category, you've no idea what is new.

Also - this is probably not possible or would demand a major rewrite of the software - why can't we have rolling threads. Were you get the last ten messages displayed and when you add another (last on)it drops the first off (LOFO).

Trouble is when you see a message, the first of a new set of ten, and you have to page back to the previous ten to see what it relates to.

F

Fred Bonney

Must be your machine Jeff.The new flag stays on until I sign out and when I come back it's all the new posts since my last visit!
I start from the bottom and work up if that helps?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

same as yours Jeff as soon as you've read one it goes