can anyone explain how to do a pendulum cast

J

jason fisher

i'm a bit stuck as to how to explain a proper pendulum cast to a guy on the sea fishing forum any help would be appreciated.

D

Dave Rothery

no idea, i've always used the brighton/uni cast as its more rig friendly/practical in a coarse fishing sense, and much easier to master

B

Budgie Burgess

Jason I dont believe there isnt a vidio clip some where on the Web showing it! Much easier to find one and post a link for the guy.If you cant find one then PM me and I will nock up a description.Used to teach casting.

A

alan outen

jason, cheers for trying to find out,it wasnt that important.
budgie, i just did a quick search and got loads of info, cheers

PTnymph

Reaction score
I am no sea angling expert but after digging up the old fishing magazine I have come across the Pendulum casting if anyone want this informatiom send me your email address and I will pass it on

J

jason fisher

budgie it might be an idea for you to put an instruction together when you've got the time, then we could talk nicely to graham about putting it in the beginners section.

thanks for your help andrew

D

Dave Rothery

not sure i'd want people trying to teach themselves a pendulum cast in a park - one crack off and they'll kill someone - much better that they visit a casting instructor

PTnymph

Reaction score
It be best to do it at the seaside on the beach. Budgie live near the seaside.
Perhap he can show anyone how to do it

D

Dave Rothery

probably the worst place if anyones around - pedulum crack offs tend to go sideways at head height. thats why tournaments have big nets around them. i'm amazed no-ones been killed yet on some lakes.....

A

alan outen

dave, didnt relise it was that bad if it goes wrong.
cheers for all the info but im slowly being put off trying it.

D

Dave Rothery

it is the best power cast, but like i say, the unitech/brighton cast is almost as good (i think the pro's get a 25yd difference on 300yd cast!) but much easier/safer to use in fishing situations

J

jason fisher

i think we all agree pendulum casting should only be practiced in a large open area when no one else is about.
an empty beach being the best place.
i personally wont cast pendulum style if there are people within 30 yards of me in any direction, and i've got past the crack off stage. just in case.
i tend to walk over to them and explain the problems then let them know when i'm going to cast each time too.

i did get one buch of absolute idiots though. dad and kids.
standing on a rock mark in north devon, all by myself, the family turn up. and then setup right behind me about 15 feet away.
at first i politely informed them of the dangers of standing behind some one who was casting a 5 ounce lead. they didn't listen, i was only overhead casting anyway if you pendulum you would hit a cliff.
i then suggested that they could move a little further along to the right as they were in grave danger of being hit with a rapidly accelerating lead. they still would not move from directly behind.

C

Cakey

Mind you Frothey they aint seen a power cast until they see a Stu cast.

J

jason fisher

is that because he's good at hitting trees or because he's got a good long cast

B

Budgie Burgess

Once you are proficient the pendulum is quite safe.The problem is in the learning stage or should I say with people who havnt bothered to learn properly!I was self taught back in the 80's but would definately reccomend getting instruction.Have never found the need to use this style for any of my carp fishing though.A simple "south african" style or"off the ground" as it is more commonly known these days sufficing.You have a big advantage freshwater fishing over beach fishing as you can drop the diameter of your main line a lot.This coupled with a large spooled reel and a shock leader can give you more than enough distance.I personnaly have found the thing what limits the maximum range that you can fish at is the maximum range you can bait at!A lot of far island margins/bars/features I have fished have been comfortably in my casting range but well beyond my baiting up range,unless I can use a boat.

B

Budgie Burgess

Oh one thing.The basic principle of long distance casting is to use a cast that extends the arc that the rod travels through prior to line release.This gives more time to compress the rod and transfer the energy to the lead.The commonly seen "carp cast" with the rod held directly over the anglers head (despite helping acuracy to a certain degree) is possibly the worst to do this!

D

Dave Rothery

stu's a good caster, he just takes hutchies comments about fish roosting in trees a bit too seriously!

you only need a nick in your shockleader (and we all check leaders before we cast, dont we?) to lose a lead, no matter how good you are. why do tournaments have nets up?. to be fair, a lot of people you see penduluming arent really winding it up anyway (so why use it!) and as budgie says, an overhead thump is more accurate anyway and will suffice for 92.376% of fishing situations.

J

jason fisher

i use it on the beach and no where else, and then only when there are only other fishermen about and out side 30 yards away.
people on the beach know the risks of the cast. but i always speak to them before i start just to make sure.
just thought i'd clarify that even i'm not daft enough to do it with people sunbathing round me.