Dangers from disenfectant

M

Martin James

Rain we need it, In the press, on the radio and TV everyone is complaining about all the rain we are having. All I can say is we need it to rain every day to keep diluting all the disinfectant being dumped on the roads, paths, farm entrances and fields. Which of course is leaching into our streams and rivers.
Over the past two days I have made a survey of 38 farms entrances. At 21 of them straw was being covered with disinfectant these disinfectant barriers were next to cattle grids or small streams. Without all this rain we could lose the aquatic life in our rivers and streams. Perhaps a fish kill. We cannot trust MAFF , The Environment Agency and least of all the Government. I suggest where roads or bridges are close to your local river or stream you keep a watch for any signs of pollution.
Three weeks ago I sent a letter to MAFF about the dangers of burying animals, More so this year with high water tables. Now we read even more animals are to be buried in landfill sites, This could certainly turn into a major disaster. What will happen if the liquid from these animals as they break down enters the drinking water system Don't tell me it can't happen it already has done so in Durham. Now is the time to write to your MP and demand action to protect us the general public we have had enough the lies from the powers to be. Remember you cannot trust a politician
On the banks of the river Aire near Skipton we have a landfill site and one must ask the question, What idiot decided on putting a landfill site next to a river. This particular landfill site is leaking liquid into the river It was reported to the EA and the Government last July We are still waiting for a result and still the liquid flows into the river. I haven't seen any chub, pike, bream or trout for quite some distance down stream of this leakage since it started. Martin James.

P

Phil Hackett

This particular landfill site is leaking liquid into the river It was reported to the EA and the Government last July We are still waiting for a result and still the liquid flows into the river. I haven't seen any chub, pike, bream or trout for quite some distance down stream of this leakage since it started. Martin
Game on! send me details mate!

M

Martin James

Hi everyone this is what I got back from the EA when I questioned them. Make of it what you will it doesn't give me a lot of confidence Cheers Martin

The Environment Agency is urging farmers and others in England and Wales to take care when using and disposing of disinfectants in relation to the current outbreak of ?Foot and Mouth? disease.

Geoff Bateman, for the Environment Agency, said:

?The priority is to eradicate the ?Foot and Mouth? virus as quickly as possible. Effective disinfection is a critical aspect of disease control, but we also need to take care to avoid pollution and environmental damage. All disinfectants pose a potential pollution risk, particularly to rivers, streams and their associated wildlife, and those with a phenolic content can be particularly persisent. Sensible precautions, however, will minimise the risks.?

Special arrangements are in place at farms and facilities where the presence of ?Foot and Mouth? disease has been confirmed (see below).

In all other cases, outside areas where strict disease control orders are in place, the Environment Agency gives the following advice (also available on the Agency?s website www.environment-agency.gov.uk):

Only use those disinfectant products approved by the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (MAFF) for control of the ?Foot and Mouth? virus. A complete list of approved products is available from MAFF (Helpline 0845-050 4141 or website www.maff.gov.uk).

Follow the manufacturer?s product instructions and safety advice, and make up only the quantity required.

Take care when transporting, decanting and diluting disinfectants.

In the event of a serious spillage that threatens the environment, contact the Environment Agency?s emergency helpline on freephone 0800 08 70 60 for advice

1/advice continues?

When siting disinfecting areas:

Consider the position carefully. Choose sites well away from ditches and drains, and where there is no likely threat to water from spillage or run-off.

Site footbaths away from drains.

When constructing ?pads? for disinfecting vehicles, lay plastic sheeting on the ground with a shallow earth wall under each edge, so that the pad can be driven over but still retains the disinfectant. Straw can then be added to reduce splashing.

In difficult locations, consider whether a simple diversion could be made to direct any run-off to a suitable grassy area.

When disposing of used disinfectants:

Wherever possible, used disinfectant should be added to a slurry/manure store, with eventual disposal to land in accordance with the MAFF Water Code.

Small quantities eg the contents of a small footbath, should similarly be added to a slurry/manure store with subsequent disposal to land in accordance with the MAFF Water Code. Where this is not possible, however, such small quantities should be tipped onto an area of permanent grass that poses no likely threat to water.

Never dispose of used disinfectant into surface water drains or septic tanks.

Straw that has been soaked in disinfectant should be composted, with subsequent spreading onto land in accordance with the MAFF Water Code. On sites where there is no facility to compost then the material should be bagged and taken to a suitably licensed landfill site.

If in any doubt about disposal, contact your Environment Agency Area Office for advice by telephoning 0845 933 3111 (NB the emergency helpline referred to above should not be used for general advice or information).

[this message was shortened to fit new size restrictions - contact the poster for full details]

D

Dave Johnson

Roy Hattersley comment 's on MAFF today in the Mail, Its nice that our politicians have faith in such bodies.....