Nostalgia

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Yes, I remember all the things you mention Kevin. And before hot water bottles we used to heat up house bricks in the oven and wrap 'em in towels.

And remember the smell of black lead, when your mother cleaned the grate?

And I'll bet few of you remember when the muck cart came round to empty the toilet.

F

Fred Bonney

Sounds just like my old house... and you have to remember 'you can't wear long trousers 'til you are senior school'.Those wellies didn't half chap your legs,that sore red ring round your calf.
No, I never knew anybody who had chillblains.
I can remember though when the coughs and splutters started,the old camphor oil warming by the fire,waiting for Mum to rub it in your chest,my Mum did have rough hands ,but it felt good!
Graham,we had two bogs,one in and one out in our house, and they were plumbed in,must have been grim up north, although our council house was built in 1951,we were moved out of London,so before that I can't remember,too young!

W

Wag

"And remember the smell of black lead, when your mother cleaned the grate?"

-and the Cardinal Red on the tiles on the doorstep.

Nostalgia - it's not what it used to be!

D

Dave Johnson

I can remember dad lighting the fire when I was about 5 (30 odd years ago..) he used to hang newspaper in front of the fire to create a down druaght or something?

Never did figure that out. And we had a telly that you put 10p pieces in the back off....Jeez, I feel old

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The newspaper was to block the air from the front of the fire to make the air rush underneath it. Posh houses had a set of bellows.

I had chilblains a couple of times, but only when I was very young and going to junior school in wooden clogs.

Any of you get dosed with Fennings Fever Cure for a cold or flu? Jeez, now that was something to forget about!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Do any of you remember the 'Blackwell' grates? They had removable shelves in the oven and when wrapped in newspaper they served as bedwarmers. Hot water bottles were ruddy great pottery things cos you couldn't get rubber ones in the war. Fry-ups of the day befores dinner, powdered egg and worst of all rancid butter cos we never had fridges. It might be nostalgia but it aint pretty

G

Geoff Cowen

I always get told off by my wife for saying people today don't no what poor is and then go on to say that I can remember getting in the tin bath in the kitchen, the water coming from the washing machine (one of those with the mangle on top)as it was the only way to heat it. It had a distinct smell and being one of seven kids the water was a bit of a funny colour by the time it came to me.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Wooden clogs Graham?

From now on you will be known as "Vaalkop van Klogman met de Groot Kas" or "Kloggy" for short.

Some of my Dutch friends will laugh their heads off when I tell them.

G

goff dyer

Sundays, me and my brother in a tin bath (b freezing) big steel nit comb dragged through our heads, and then a big spoon of cod liver oil (and i mean a big spoon).
A bit of nostalgia i would like to forget.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

'Cause you lot have had it good.

I was brought up in an asbestos pipe wi both ends blocked off. It were only 6 inches in diameter an the whole 18 of us had to be packed in head to tail. For food, we ad t'slime from 't cesspit.

But we were 'appy.

Me father used to kick us out 't pipe at 4 o'clock evry morning where we each took our farthins t' millowner to allow us each to work a 72 hour shift.

This were better than being classified asw "unemployed"

Ant young ens won't believe a word av sed!!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Cod Liver Oil,Orange Juice and Malt Extract from the clinic...

Nitty Norah (the Nit Nurse)at school

The Polio Jab

Your gloves on a long string that went up one sleeve and down the other so you wouldn't lose them

Taking the radio transformer to the shop and exchanging it for a full one

E

Yes sorry thats what I meant....
I wasn't quite old enough but some of the kids made a few coppers going to the shop with a little trolley and collecting them for some of the older neighbours ...

E

Do you remember collecting jam jars and getting a halfpenny each for them at the rag and bone yard.....or getting a balloon or a goldfish off the rag and bone man for old clothes who used to come shouting down the back alleys

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Nicking empties from round the back of the 'selling out shop' (off-licence) and taking them back to the same shop for the money back off the empties.

J

John Pleasance

"Nicking empties from round the back of the 'selling out shop' (off-licence) and taking them back to the same shop for the money back off the empties."

Good little earner that one, I have to plead guilty as well.