floaters

M

michael rouse

i know its more of a summer thing floater fishing but iv just watched bob james and he didnt have the chum mixer on the hook or hair rigged.how many ways are there of attaching dog biscuits to a hook?

what is the best and easiest way of attaching chum mixers to a hook?id like to know because next summer i intend to catch a carp off the surface.

Does a controller spook wary carp and is it really necessary to have a controller while fishing at distance anyway?

S

Stuart Bullard

Bait bands or file a small grove and stick it on using superglue. Plus the one you mentioned, hair rigging.

Controllers do spook carp unless they are feeding confidently, then use a longer distance to the hook, or assuming you need a controller, just break off a bit of reed or twig and attach it with two bait bands.

Surely you need a controller to fish at distance?

B

Barry Edney

I very rarely use a controller as I always loose feed by hand when floater fishing. So I can get away with freelining when they're feeding that close. If I cant get them feeding close in on mixers I'll try 6mm floating pellets. If that doesn't bring them in I dont normally bother and just dream about what might have been.

As for hooking mixers I always side hook 'em. Although one idea that did interest me was the double hair-rig. I think it was Cakey that mentioned it on a previous thread. The idea is to have two hairs on the same hook, one coming off the bend in the 'normal' fashion, the other reversed so that it kinda comes out by the eye. (I think this is right.) So when a feeding carp nudges and prods and pokes at the bait theres less chance it will feel the weight of the hook. Also the hook will not be dangling directly below a single bait but will be between the two.

To prepare mixers for side hooking is a simple procedure. You only need enough for hook-baits as loose feed will come straight from the bag. Place a couple of handfuls in a bowl, and pour boiling water over the top. Drain the water off after 30 seconds, and then tip the mixers onto a damp rosy lee peter powell (tea towel) and cover with another. Do this the night before you go fishing and by the morning they will be soft enough to hook. You could add 'flavour' but I dont bother as they have quite a strong scent anyway. Just ask the ducks on my lake. They can smell a Chum mixer a mile away!

M

michael rouse

ok so how far can i cast with just 2 mixers on a hook, and when they are soaked in water dont they expand and sink?

Stuart ,wont the superglue give out a scent in the water?

L

Les Clark

Michael, how long is a lenght of string?
TRY SOMETHING for yourself,see if it work`s,try useing YOUR brain.

D

Dave Rothery

11.438 yards with 15lb line and a size 2 hook. dont be so unhelpful les.

B

Barry Edney

Micky, you can easily cast a single mixer as far as you can throw 'em. As for them sinking, dont you put them in the water when you're fishing with them? With the preparation I described you dont actually 'soak' them, just show 'em the water for 30 secs. Or even 20 secs if you feel 30 secs is too long. What you end up with is a nice spongey hook-bait. You're right, they do sink eventually. But so do 'dry' ones. and its no problem to re-hook another.

Les, you're a cheeky bugger. ;)

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Dave I think you're a bit out on your distance surely its 14.479 yards

M

michael rouse

if controllers spook wary carp then can anyone rate the maver surface blobs.

B

Budgie Burgess

Michael,the Maver surface blobs you mention are normally used by pole anglers who are targeting smaller carp.The two reasons for a controller are to give additional casting weight and something a bit more substantial to tighten your line up to.You can use them as a reference to where your bait is but you dont really want to use them like a float ie to detect the bite.Much better to watch the bait.The subject of what to try if your controller starts spooking the carp has all ready been mentioned.You can also use those tips if you get exactly the other problem...the carp actually taking your controller!I find that the line can spook them more than the controller.As for hooking mixers I never hair rig.Two softened mixers on the shank of a size 2 Jack Hilton has done me fine.If ever I get problems with "spit outs" I change to mounting the mixers on a short length of plastic tube.This slides on the line above the hook.Use a smaller (6-8) but heavier hook patern.When the carp spits out the mixer it just slides up the line leaving the hook still in the mouth.Well most times anyway!Floater fishing has one secret-just get them feeding confidently,and competitively on freebies before you attempt to catch one!Easy as that.

C

Cakey

i hate the way its used ,ive seen angler after angler putting boxes of the stuff out,all floats up one end of the lake masses of it floating through me swim.
ban it.

B

Budgie Burgess

Yes it is some times misused but same goes for lots of baits etc,do we ban every thing just because of the idiots?