Winter Fishing - How, what & When?

Andy Clarke

Reaction score
Hi, have been fishing for just under a year now - have had great success till now with float fishing especially. Finding the last few weeks terrible though - catching nothing! Is it the wrong time for floating? have tried spinning but only got a small Jack pike.
What technique should I use, when should I go, any particular bait I should use?
Thanks

D

Dave Slater

Andy,
You don't say if you are fishing rivers, stillwaters or both. In general terms river fishing can be better in the winter and stillwater fishing can deteriorate. This is just a generalisation and can very for different waters and different weather conditions.
If you give an indication on this thread of the type of waters you are fshing - small rivers, big rivers, small stillwaters, large pits, canals or any other types of water I am sure you will get some good advice from FM regulars. Without knowing a little about the type of water you are fishing or species you wish to target it will be very difficult for anybody to give you useful advice.

Andy Clarke

Reaction score
Just to clarify my request - I am fishing on a small river and a canal. Not sure if I should be floating or ledgering or spinning or all!?!?! and what would be the best times and conditions to fish in winter.
Cheers
Andy

D

Dave Slater

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the E_mail. I hope the general comments in my reply help. I am sure you will get a few responses now FM readers know the type of water you are fishing. Up to you, but if you name your river on the thread you may get some good advice from readers familiar with your river.

S

Stephen Mc Cormack

Andy I'm from Ireland too where abouts are you fishing which Canal what River, I'll help if i can, have been fishing the grand Canal for the last 2-3 years with mixed success.