Exage/ GT/ Stradic /Twin power 4000???

Guy Morris

Reaction score
Hi there,
Im after an allround reel for the river, i fish a fairly small river, not a huge tidal river so 4000 in size will be about right, does any one have experience of any of these, are they hugely different in quality, give or take the odd BB. Chub are the main Quarry, and it will be teamed with a 11ft avon style rod

Rickrod

Reaction score
I dont think you can go wrong with a shimano which ever model you choose and a 4000 is spot on for a avon

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I dont think you can go wrong with a shimano which ever model you choose and a 4000 is spot on for a avon

Or if it's for chub, you can get away very nicely with the rear-drag plus "Fightin' Drag (the latter feature a sort of second-string Baitrunnner) Exage 2500. Landed me some nice chub and a few, big, interloper barbel in recent years.

A

alan whittington

Following on from Paul's post,which are you considering front or rear drag,its an important question as the rear drags dont develop enough power if your considering 2-3 ounce plus(its the gearing,i believe),especially feeders,even the cheap powerloop 4000(or hyperloop,whichever)is more user friendly,you certainly wouldnt be disappointed with a Stradic 4000 f/drag,lovely piece of kit,fair bit of dosh,but worth every penny.;)

dsr1

Reaction score
Hi there,
Im after an allround reel for the river, i fish a fairly small river, not a huge tidal river so 4000 in size will be about right, does any one have experience of any of these, are they hugely different in quality, give or take the odd BB. Chub are the main Quarry, and it will be teamed with a 11ft avon style rod

I use a 2500 Exage with a rear drag and can thoroughly recommend one. I also own a 4000 Exage rear drag but rarely use that these days preferring the 2500. If you are fishing a small river then the 2500 teamed up with an 11ft Avon rod will be ideal, using lines up to 6lb or even 8lb. I also use my 2500 with 13 or 15ft float rod too.

David

Guy Morris

Reaction score
Is the 2500 the same body size etc as 4000 size, with a shallow spool or are they quite different?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Any of the reels you have asked about will do the job, as has been said, front or rear drag. 2500 have a smaller spool size, the 4000 gives you more options, one day you might fish a bigger water, the 4000 would still do the job.

r1paul

Reaction score
Ray`s spot on , I have a couple of the 2500 which I use for tenching & bream , I go up to 6 lb on the line but that would be my limit , I wouldn`t want to use them for carp or barbel , the 4000 would be the better option .

A

almosthuman

I've used the 2500 , 3000 and 4000 size Stradic rear drag reels since they were released and have to say they are incredibly versatile , I use mine for just about everything . Though if its for getting amongst the chub on a small river and little else then the 2500 or even the 1000 size would probably be better than the 4000 .

A

alan whittington

The rear drag Stradics and most other rear drag reels(that ive seen) do not cope with 2 ounce plus weights,its not the casting but the retrieving(i believe its down to lower gear ratios) and unless you have a front drag equivelent you would not realise how much better they are,and thats without the better quality drag mechanism.

A

almosthuman

The rear drag Stradics and most other rear drag reels(that ive seen) do not cope with 2 ounce plus weights,its not the casting but the retrieving and unless you have a front drag equivelent you would not realise how much better they are,and thats without the better quality drag mechanism.

Well mine have been hoying 2-3 oz. feeders for a few seasons and have never let me down , I also own several front drag Shimanos ( Symetres , Seidos and a Twin Power ) and can make the comparison , imho the fighting drag is a real boon . Mind you not everyone has to lob 2 or more ounces regularly ....

A

alan whittington

Sorry a/human,im not saying that they cant cope with casting 2oz+,thats not generally in a shimano's remit,just that there is more winding power in the front drags,i agree about the fighting drag,i have 4 reels with it myself and used one myself yesterday,general chubbing(and anything else come to that)the rear drag is fine,just that the f/drag is better in my opinion(and the reels are more compact).