Life jackets

R

Ross Turner

Has any members have any recomendations on life jackets or vests & what type Manual or Automatic.
Thanks

PTnymph

Reaction score
Please see Leslies of Luton Catalogue Page 172

Fox KS Bodyguard life jacket. Price ?90.00

Automatically rights the wearer into a face up position in case of unconsciousness.

This might sound expensive but it is a really good one and does not take up much storage room.

website. www.leslies-luton.co.uk for requesting catalogue or mail order

B

Budgie Burgess

I have spent a great deal of time in boats and along with others in the same situation thoroughly reccomend the wearing of a life jacket.To make it worth while though the correct type must be selected.IMO you have to have a self inflating,righting type.My reasons being that when I fall in I am quite a srong swimmer so most probably wouldnt need one BUT when I do want one is IF I am knocked unconcious.Dont matter how strong a swimmer you are then does it!This is why I would always reccomend a proper life jacket rather than a bouyancy aid.Life jackets also come in different boucancy ratings.This should be remembered when buying one.Winter clothing can way very heavy when wet.Yes one piece waterproof suits do trap the air and yes you do float initially but believe you me they soon start to fill with water and you sink like a stone.I know as I nearly lost my life in an accident at Balmaha one winter.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Totally agree with you Budgie I learnt my lesson at Balmaha too......funny that!

I never go out in the boat without the jackets on though now use auto type as less cumbesome, try your local boat shops as an alternative to tackle shops as anything with a fish on seens to go up in price for some reason.........

Most important to remember the kids too my daughter 8 and excellent swimmer (probably something to do with having her own pool in the back garden, and summer is on its way 24 degrees today) always wears an auto inflator even when I take her bank fishing on a small ponds like you say you cant swim if you are out cold......and it only takes one slip, at least I know whatever happens she will be on top and able to breath until I drag her out (heaven forbid)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Good looking bloke on the front cover of the Leslies catalogue.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

No, its Mick holding the pike, who's the tit at the bottom crouching, looks a right tight arse :eek:)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Could be Ross. Have a look if it's a handsome devil and if it is then chances are it's me. Oh, sod the modesty, it is me.

Budgie, Kiwi, bloody weird that, Balmaha was where I come close to drowning as well.

Worse though, was when me, Eddie and another mate went down on an Irish lough. That frightened me more than anything, ever. Really close to it being all over that was.

G

Gary Knowles

Back to life jackets. Try ADEC Marine.

Tel : 020 8686 9717 or
Email : adec.marine@lineone.net

I did a review on this webiste a couple of years ago, you can probably still find it if you do a search.

R

Ross Turner

Thanks for the details.
Any good for fishing though as i will be fly fishing.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Alternative title for the Leslies catalogue
:

"Chamber of Horrors"

(only to be sold off the top shelf --Not Suitable for children)

E

Yes Graham --
That was a bit of a hairy experience wasn't it --
and you wouldn't let me hang on to you ..cos you had the life jacket and I didnt ...

G

Gary Knowles

Ross - yes, fine for fly fishing. I use mine when lure fishing from a boat.

G

Gary Knowles

"Worse though, was when me, Eddie and another mate went down on an Irish lough"

I know you went down on the Marbury Mountain Graham, but I didn't think you'd done the same with an Irish Lough....

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Did he come up for air?

The dirty old git.

E

That was me Gary --Graham caught me at it ...and I didnt have an Ice Axe either!

R

Ross Turner

Come on lads stop Hi jacking the post,I could do with some serious recomendations.
Thanks

B

Budgie Burgess

Arguabley Crewsaver make the best life jackets (I wouldnt be suprised if they make the Fox and Harrison ones as well!)Cant stress enough about making sure the one you buy is right for you.Im over 24 stone so I have one which is sold for North sea oil rig workers.It has a very high newton rating (buoyancy)as it is designed to keep a large person wearing thick,protective clothing afloat.This was only just over the ton so as all ready mentioned cheaper to buy "non fishing branded" items.