"Bent" Hooks

D

Dave Rothery

I'd like to start off ny saying i mainly use nash fangs and kamasan b175's BUT i've played around with the fox series 5(?) curved shank style hook and come up with a presentation i really like as a stand by "cant think of anything else" rig. BUT reading comments in the press, a lot of people condemn them, a lot reate them. what are your views? ive had over 20 fish this year on them, and cant think of one that had mouth damage/double hooked, but the jurys still out....

C

Cakey

no need for bent hooks,use shrink tubing and shape in steam as an extension of a normal hook.

B

Budgie Burgess

I never used them but saw a lot of damage done with them on my water in the late 80's.This was with the origonal long shank fly fishing lure hooks with the bend put in.Also seen some nasty hook ups with the Partridge "Piggy Back" model as well.These two examples of "bent hook" are both much more extreme than modern versions.At the time in question they were normally used in conjunction with the now much frowned upon (I for one agree) 3oz carp ball and short hooklink type of rig.The lead inevitably being fixed.I felt that the lead hanging directly of the hook from a short link was a great contributer to the problem.I supose they are like a lot of things in fishing,the way they are used being the important thing.Not tried any of the new less extreme ones myself,never felt the need but I definately wouldnt use the old style ones going on what I have seen.

D

Dave Rothery

cant get the length of blowback with tubing unless you use a really large ring - which can lead to the bait tangling

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
My club has banned anything that looks remotely like a bent hook following a spate of reports of fish with damaged mouths. No reports of freshly damaged mouths since the ban.

D

Dave Rothery

thats my query graham, have you seen any caught with mouths that have been damaged by the hook, or is it just rumour? i'd imagine fish on silty waters have much softer mouths than those on gravelly waters?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I haven't seen any of the fish Dave, just reporting what happened on my club, so I can't really say what the real facts were. The same club has banned braided mainline as well, which I strongly disagreed with (a total ban anyway). Not the same fishing floaters and dragging a lead along the bottom with mono.

J

John Pleasance

R&DAA(the Ringwood one) banned bent hooks years ago.

The committee weren't able to actually say at the time what constituted a bent hook but they banned them all the same.

It was quite a stormy meeting iirc.

D

Dave Rothery

i'll do a couple of pics later of what i use, and the way cakeys talking about doing it later if graham can put them on

B

Budgie Burgess

If you are not having any problems with your style of "Bent" hook Dave then it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks.If after using them (and catching on them) for this amount of time you have had no damage then it aint going to change over night.The origonal style "Bent hook rigs" undoubtedly caused damage and this soon become apparent.Only those who didnt care carried on using them.Maybe these modern versions should be renamed (or in fact maybe they have been mis named in the first place?)to save confussion.I would hate to see a safe set up banned just because of a name just as much as I would hate to see the old fish damaging hooks/rigs used again because they were mistakenly used after reading about how good the new ones are.

C

Carp Angler

I used the original bent hook for quite some considerable time and never, I repeat, never had any mouth damage with it.
This was with the Kamasan B800 low water salmon hook, in a size 6, bent 10mm down from the eye and with the pop-up tight to the shank
I stopped using them when the majority of clubs and orgs banned there usage through the related bad press reports.
I tried the Partridge 'PiggyBacks' and the first fish I had was double hooked and I had to cut the hook in half to get it out.
They went in the bin.

I also had problems with the Fox curved ones when they came out, although only about 30% of the time, but this is 30% more than I will accept for a safe hook.

Only my opinions on what I know and what I have experienced.

N

Nick Austin

dave...have you posted the pics anywhere yet?....i tend to achieve the bent effect by using shrink tube?...but iv'e been tempted by some of the more strange shaped OWNER hooks that are available, but unsure of their suitability....

C

Cakey

good thing with tubing is when you hook a fish it straightens so there is deffo no damage to the fish.

D

Dave Rothery

thinking back rik, the lake i "grew up" on, which was in the bent hook era, had few problems with mouth damage. maybe like i said before, gravel pit carp have tougher mouths?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=2757&SP=&v=1>Bent Hook Rig Substitutes</a> submitted by Dave Rothery.

D

Dave Rothery

the top one IS a bent hook, the bottom is a b175 with shrink tube.

B

Budgie Burgess

I dont believe that carps mouths are that different from water to water.Carp Angler I have seen damage definately caused by Bent hooks but have also heard other people who like yourself have had no problem with them.As I suggested in my first post on this thread do you think that it is more the rig that they were commonly used with ie ultra short hook link fixed to a heavy weight that combined with the style of hook that caused the damage rather than the hook it self?