Advice for still waters

Mark Vernel

Reaction score
Ho there, I am hoping to improve on catches at a local ticket ticket estate lake - http:/coarse.fishing.users.btopenworld.com ~ I have been fishing there for the last year and a half, and have had some particularly good days and some bloody awfull ones. The species in the lakes ~ that have been proven are:
Carp to 17lb+, Tench to 3lb, Brem to 3lb, Perch to 2.25lb, Chub to around 5lb, Pike to almost 15lb and a LOT of small roach, best I've had is around 10-12oz. The water is almost gin clear at the moment, and consists fo two lakes, built upon a natural stream in the 1750's. The top lake which takes it's feed from Oxfordshire countryside run off water, id the larger with pretty good access along one bank, it is very shallow, with the deepest water 'downstream' at the bridge end, where depths of 6 - 8feet can be found, the rest is around 3-4 feet and very shllow in most of the margin swims. No central features, but as the far bank at the widest is only some 40 yards very accessible. The bottom lake is mcuh longer and narrower, almost spoon shaped, with the spoon end being the deeper water, a wide basin of around 6 - 7feet with some holes up to 9feet. The bottom lake is very heavilly treelined and access to somw areas is almost impossible.

Okay so thats the desciption - sorry it went on for so long....

To date fishing has normally been very good, with the rare event of a blank. Float or ledgered red maggot will take almost anything. The chub have been caught on boilies and a father and son session produced some 30 carp in a session all to boilies. So although private and not heavilly fished, these guys will take modern baits.

If you have the time (or the patience) OH, Yes as for my question!!!
I'd like to hear from you with regards how you would takle each of the main species, what baits, flavourings, rigs and groundbaits would you suggest, for such a venue in the oncoming wet, windy and more than likely cold short days of winter!

Carp - Commons and Mirrors!
Tench -
Chub -
Pike -
Perch
Bream -
Roach - the better sized ones I am sure are in there!! -
Perch -

I have also been told that Crucians were stocked in the late 1970's I have not seen or heard of anyone cathcing any since the lakes reopened in April this year - How would I target any that still reside in these waters?

All / any advice greatly appreciated.
MarkV

Mark Vernel

Reaction score
Sorry for all the typo's in the above!! I'll fix the keyboard (or my 'finger') one of these days! The URL for the website, in which I have tried to track and advise on the fishing at Heythrop should be:

http://coarse.fishing.users.btopenworld.com/

It has a 'map' of the two waters showing rough depths,(Venue Details and Maps button!) and lots of photo's of the water to give you a feel for the type of venue it is.(Photo's of the estate and lakes button) It has a nice selection of photos of some of the catches as well.(Fish photo gallery button)

Regards, MarkV