E bay......

E

EC

I have recently been mooching around ebay looking for a few bits and bobs.

Now I am sure there are loads of bargains to be had, just not for the items I have been looking for!

What makes me laugh though is the number of items for sale close to rrp OR ABOVE in some cases and (even better) the number of people who still bid on them, knowing they have to pay p&p also!

R

Ross Turner

I know what you mean,You have to be careful not to fall in to the trap of i want that & keep bidding on it till you get it.

The best way to do it is place your maximum bid & let the auction bid by proxy for you,If it sell for less than your top price fine you win the lot,If it goes over you think what the heck its selling for more than i wanted to pay.

Also stuff on ebay only sells if someone wants it.

S

Stuart Bullard

Also, on this forum many times people have, quite rightly in my opinion, warned against buying from car boot sales.

Can you give me nay reason why the same logic should not be applied to eBay ??

Kevan Martin

Reaction score
I actually buy and sell on eBay, I am sure that there is a lot of dodgy stuff on-line, but how are we to know?. The last thing that I bought was a 16m Daiwa tournament 410 pole for ?680. My mate bought one about 3 weeks before I got mine and paid ?2400 ( ish ).

When I showed him my 410 he could believe the condition. I doubt it had been used more than 6 times, it was mint. The only conclusion I can draw is that it was stolen property because the seller knew next to nothing about fishing. He was selling it on behalf of a friend ( yeah right ), but I bought it on good faith.

A

alan outen

i bought a telescopic rod first cast with a 1ounce lure snapped it, it was suppossed to cast up to 8ounces, i wont buy anything off ebay again.

R

Ross Turner

What type of telescopic rod was it?
The only rods i know that will cast a weight that size is a beach caster.
Sp by the look of things you got a bum deal but what about all those bargains you can get.
Stolen property can turn up on it,but if you buy it in good faith you should be ok legally not sure about morally(sorry for spelling).

L

Les Clark

So far ive had no trouble either buying or selling,and i agree with Eddie,some people get carried away and through their own fault get ripped off.

D

Dave Rothery

there's a lot of companies selling bankrupt stock, retailers getting rid of dead stock,etc on there. like ross said, just bid once with the max amount you want to spend, and leave it.

S

Shrek

Items like this always make me wonder if things are stolen.

I'm wary and ask as many questions as I can.

As for it being your property if you buy it, I always thought that if the real owner could identify it through serial numbers or the like, then they could claim it back as the rightful owner.

A

L

Les Clark

Adrian,the bloke selling that gear for that amount of money(if nicked)as got to be some sort of plonker considering he`s giveing a address,not worth getting done for.

R

Ross Turner

If that was stolen,i think he would be a bit stupid to sell it like that.Ok he off loads the stuff quicker but he gets a crap price for it.
One thing which caught my eye was the email you had to use to ask questions a bit dodgy if you ask me.
If you ever think something might be stolen you should inform eBay at once so they can investigate.

L

Les Clark

Ross,just had a 2nd look,you could be right,but if it is nicked, he know`s what hes talking about.

B

Budgie Burgess

A bit naughty sugesting that the "lot" of tackle on Ebay might be nicked.The price shown is only the current bid.True a lot of nicked gear does turn up at boot fairs etc and as allready said it is normally identifiable by the fact that the price is ridiculously low or more so that the seller hasnt got a clue what he is selling despite claiming to be an angler.
Why I comment on the acusation or supposition that the gear is nicked is that I once had a similar accusation made against my self on the internet! cant remember if it was here or on Anglers Net.I was selling of some carp rods remaining from when I used to deal in tackle.Brought at trade and with the obligatory buy 10 get 2 free deal I was able to sell them at a third of their RRP just to shift them.Thanks to the bitchyness off one local tackle dealer I was left with loads of them!
A lot of anglers are still very nieve about the true price of tackle.

K

Kevan Farmer

eBay has been steadily getting worse. Very much like the original boot sales it was really meant for good quality s/h stuff. It is now - again, like the boot sales - a market place for tackle dealers who get hold of cheap equipment. Now I hasten to add there are some very good bargains to be had from some dealers. There is also a lot of rubbish both new stuff and s/h. Some of you may know that I am a lover of centrepins especially Speedias. The amount of these that are advertised as being excellent condition and very free running is amazing. Over half are absolutely rubbish and would need sending to somebody like Garry Mills before they could be used. A free running centrepin to me is one that spins cleanly for at least a minute + Many struggle to manage 5 seconds. Imagine trying to trot a float with that sort of reel. Or, heaven forbid, attempting a Wallis cast.

Beware also the traders who insist on using a courier service for post. They charge astronomical prices where the good old Post Office will do the same job for sometimes a quarter of the same price.

Be very wary is all I can say.

Kevan

R

Ross Turner

Kevan,I always question the postage on rods,as i am aware the post office will only accept parcels no longer than 1.5m so if you have a 10` 2 piece rod you have to use couriers its just one of those things.
Sometimes when i see a rod advertised with a low postage i am curious who they use to send it,so i ask them & most of the time they reply the PO which i then inform them about the maximum lenght they will handle thus stopping them being out of pocket for delivery.

L

Les Clark

Stuart,sorry just seen your posting, yes still off the fag`s,still hard work,still think of myself as a smoker, still got to watch myself.

L

Les Clark

Ross, the going rate for over 1.5m ,under 6killo is ?15 anywhere in the u.k.

R

Ross Turner

Les,so why do i always get told they will not accept any of my parcels over 1.5m?,or is this just one of those things were the said PO decides what they will or wont accept.I can send parcels upto 10kg for only ?13 by courier & thats next day.
I paid for some tackle last wed & it was sent thursday last & it only came today so i think if the buyer wants it quick he should pay for it by courier.