Christmas Presents

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

When I was married to my late wife Margaret, we had a very simple philosopy. All our relations got tippexed last years Christmas cards. All our good friends were given vouchers.

And then me and the missus went shopping.

Margaret loved good clothes and good food. I used to draw the equivalent of ?2000 and take her to Sandton Centre.

We blew the lot on clothes for her. It was a fabulous day where we finished it at the Sandton Sun 5 star hotel where we had a fabulous meal and a champagne breakfast the next morning.

The next Saturday I drew another ?2000.

We went to Mia Sports in Joburg were I bought bass lures, rods, reels and fly tying equipment to die for.

Then we booked in at the Jo'burg Sun for the night, had an incredible meal together with dancing to a top class band.

The following morning we would jump in the car and drive 1000 miles to Capetown. We stopped at a great hotel I knew in Barkley West

Amongst marvellous sea fishing, dining at some of the best restuarants in the world we did the wine route. Spent at least ?1000 on wines and then made it back home by early January.

For many years, that was my Christmas.

W

Wolfman Woody

My daughter brought up a photocopied advert for a Hummingbird Smartcast, thinking this is one of those indespensible items we anglers can't do without.

Whilst I admit to having a curiosity about some waters, depths and fish stocks, and would appreciate something to do scans and surveys, the idea of using it at THE SAME TIME as fishing to tell me where fish are is out of the question.

What people will think of though?????

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I used to use a Lowrence set up with my friend Bill in our Bass boat.

Marvellous piece of equipment. It used to bleep when a fish swam by, and give a read out on the lake bed.

It saved us a heck of a lot of gasoline.

E

EC

I went to the River Dane from 12-5 christmas day AND boxing day last year!
Repeat performance this year methinks!
HOOHAR

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I had many of them Eddie.

And I miss it, by crikey I miss it.

All we have to look forward to here is cold, drizzle, dark dreary dank nights and bloody relations wanting to see you.

Why are we born with bloody relations?

And they get so upset if you give them a tippexed Christmas card.

I envy my son Sean. He is off to Cork in Ireland for Christmas, Then bound for The Seychelles for New Year, after that, New Zealand for 3 weeks and then to meet his girlfriend in Melborne for a month. After that he will be back at work, making big bucks in The Big Stink.

Mind you I don't blame him. I did that sort of thing when I was younger.

E

EC

I didnt/dont Ron I am the youngest of 9, as such the relations bit was all part of it, but cold and damp equals a few fish this year I reckon! I'm like a caged tiger stuck in the (virtual) inlaws house all day!

L

Les Clark

Ron,How could you be so tight with christmas card`s,and spend all that money on your self?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

just Ron being a yorkshireman---

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I didn't just spend it on myself you know, I spent it on the missus, and later on on my son. I sent him to a private boarding school for 5 years and it made me poor.

Sean alway had the best. Best education, best sports equipment, best fly rods, etc etc.

I spent a fortune on him.

You can't call me a tight Yorkshireman for that.

Charity begins at home - is my motto.

A

alan outen

Ron can you stop talking about Afica. i have always wanted to go, and when the kids are older i will, but in the mean time you are making me so bloody jealous, that i have started looking at holidays/safaris that i cant afford at the moment

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I've been asked many times about advice concerning emigration.

There have been some recent programmes where families have emigrated to places like Oz and it has been a disaster.

My advice to anyone is to go there by yourself without being lumbered with a woman or a family. In all cases it's the woman who is the reason for the emigration disaster.

The kids can assimilate with other kids easily. The bloke gets on with his job, meets new mates and for a time quite enjoys it.

But the woman. Oh dear. In no time they are feeling "homesick" and want their blinking mothers. Most of my mates in SA emigrated because they didn't like their mothers!

I have never been able to understand why women get so attached to their mothers.

And I've seen it all I can tell you.

Go by yourself, lose your accent, meet a local girl and you will get on like a house on fire.

J

jason fisher

if you meet a local girl that means you're stuck with their mother, and whats worse she's there.

J

jason fisher

my theory is move to america then marry an australian woman.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I ran of with Margaret to Swaziland.

They never heard of us for 4 months. But when we returned, my future Father-in-Law thought that what we had done was marvellous.

Yet my futire Mother-in-Law screamed about it for weeks. She was also a bloody racist.

No wonder he divorced my Mother-in-law some years later.

My father-in-law was a great guy.

Good old Frank Harris.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

But you have to live there and make your living there, to experience what another country is really like.

Otherwise you have not really travelled.

M

Martin Scullion

Wouldn't mind moving to SA myself, don't think my wife would mind too much cos she comes from Durban.

I think I'd miss the Pike & Zander however, guess there's always Bass & Tigers tho'