Bent hook rigs

P

Philip Smith

Erm, sorry, er, but thats NOT the "bent hook rig" that caused all the fuss all those years ago.
Those are the good ones that came after. Yes, both of them.
The original, so called "bad" hook, was a normal straight hook not unlike the lower rig, but with a bend applied to the shank about halfway along. This resulted in a 30 degree or so, angle, which dropped the eye of the hook level with the point.
The problems with this rig, I believe, had far more to do with repeat captures of fish from gravel pits, that had large, sub surface, bars. These required considerable brute force to get the fish over them. Hence the tears, from repeated captures, looking awful (Boy did they ever).
The fish where relatively naieve, the bait new and successful, the rig efficient, and a new bunch of young carp anglers perhaps did not look after their fish as well as they could have. But the rig was blamed and hyseria got it a really bad name very quickly.
A bit like the story that went round about all those carp dying from eating the artificial Chum mixers earlier in the year. Which was another load of twaddle.
Phil.

D

Dave Rothery

erm, sorry, er, but that WASNT SUPPOSED TO BE THE HOOK THAT CAUSED THE FUSS!!!!!

If you read THIS youll see why it was put on there.

the top rig is one of the newer "curved" shank hooks which are being blamed for damage, the bottom is how you can approximate it with shrink tube.

P

Philip Smith

Sorry Dave, but everything that I've just read supports what I said. All of it.
The original problem came mainly from new angling practices. Strong rods, I didnt mention, but they are a factor. Because they allowed heavier leads than hitherto. But it was the straight shanked hook that was then kinked down 30 degrees that was the "Bent Hook". Properly used it caused NO extra dammage to fish as the other contributors pointed out.
The response reported from one of the guys was typical, "the committee couldnt define a bent hook rig, but they banned it anyway".
Forget the hook thing, and look hard at how the fish that sustained the dammage, was played, how long was the hooklink, and what type of lead was used, and I suggest you will find the true cause there.

C

Cakey

sorry philip but you cant read then ,frothey was talking about his rig !

D

Dave Rothery

the thread started off talking about the newer curved shank "bent" hooks. cakey said you could do the same thing with shrink tube, i had a pm about how to do it, so i put a pic on to clear up any confusion. it was only after that we started on about the older hooks. if you read it, you'll notice that at no point has anyone said they should be banned, just there is some percieved damage on some lakes. your point about gravel bars is fine, but what about open water silty lakes? also a couple of us state we have had no problems with them - new or old. much of what you say in your first post we have already touched on in the thread. the quote you quoted wasn't anti bent hook, it was a fact!

your arguing about something that most of us already agree with you about!

P

Philip Smith

Thanks lads I hope to be useful and enjoy a good discussion from time to time.
Now about this piece.
What I am trying to say and doing very badly, is to point out you are not talking about the proper Bent Hook Rig in your piece.
The two rigs you illustrate are two different things. The curved rig is a "Blowback Rig" and should be quite safe unless abused. The second rig is the modern safe version of the Bent Hook, and is ment for fishing with a popup tight to the shank below the point on the shank level with the hook point. You fish this on a short hooklink and a very heavy lead.
No way will the extension piece work as a Blowback. The ring will jam every time on the eye. Even with silly sizes of ring, let alone the small neat rings which were in the original design.
The only way you could get such a design to work would be to cut off the eye, heat blob the end of your line and then whip with silk,( as we used to with hooks to nylon), the line to the shank. Treat the whole whipping with superglue then cover the shank and whipping with shrink tube bent to shape. To retain your ring you would need to apply two rubber float stops at either end of the tube.
Good luck
Phil.

P

Philip Smith

No I'm wrong again. You could get an Ultra short shank hook (like an Owner) and your bent shrinktube to work like a blowback rig. With the ring stopping on the tube, not on the hook shank.
Arghh this is so difficult to explain. How do you put pictures on this page lads?
Phil.

P

Phil Hackett

I use the srink tube rig for hair rigs for chub & barbel, never had a problem with hooks making tears in either species. And I'm stopping the fish getting into snags, so I give them some stick.

I can't see a problem with these rigs at all.

D

Dave Rothery

" i mainly use nash fangs and kamasan b175's BUT i've played around with the fox series 5(?) curved shank style hook " - no mention of bent hooks there!
thats why the thread was called " "bent hooks" " as calling it "slightly curved longshank hooks" wouldnt have quite the same ring to it. thats partly why i started the thread - people are lumping these hooks in with the origional bent hook when they are two different beasts. i personally have never had a problem with them (or the origional) i was just asking others opinions. one other site has already "banned" them (wrongly in my mind. glad you agree with me that they are ok....or do you mean the origionals ok ;).

send graham (editor) a pic, and he'll put it on.

old enough to remember whipping hooks with silk......you'll get on with graham and ron then!

P

Philip Smith

If you use the shrink tube extended rigs you won't have any problem. Its the original rigid hook that allegedly had problems.

P

Philip Smith

What was wrong with calling it the Blowback rig ?
Look I'll try to dig out some of the old Bent hooks and do a photo for everyone to see what the various places banned.
But I still blame the anglers, and the circumstances, (which have now changed anyway), for a lot of the dammage attributed to the rig on its own.
Phil.

P

Philip Smith

Ok photos done, captioned, and sent via Email to the forum.
As you will see there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the rig on its own.
It is just when you add in very heavy ball leads, ultra short hook links,strong rods, gravel bars between the fish and your swim,and innocent fish that hadn't perhaps come across big beds of boilies before, that you have a recipe for missuse.
The fish, repeatedly caught before the fist hookhold had a chance to heal, got worse and worse, in those pre Klinik days. Some of the holes looked pretty bad I can tell you.
But change any part of the combination of circumstances and nothing would have happened to create the semi hysteria that blew through the carp fishing world at the time.

B

Budgie Burgess

A bit of Deja-vu here Phill aint this what I wrote several posts ago? Then again I posted it on the correct thread!!!LOL Its these new boys Phill not old enough to remember whipped on hooks eh! How about "solder blobbed" salmon hooks then Dave and Cakey you read about those?LOL

D

Dave Rothery

cakeys older than you! (sorry cakehole)

i remember carp fever first time round....

D

Dave Rothery

you could call it a blowback rig, but then any rig with a ring/silicone on the hook is technically a blowback rig....

D

Dave Rothery

and if you use them to cram on loads of maggots, it aint a blowback at all!

P

Philip Smith

Blasted new fangled things these Solder blobbed low water salmon hooks, Budgie! Still got some Chapmans, Goldstrikes someplace.
As for ordinary hooks I've still got, and used on Wednesday, some Mustad blued, crystal pattern, spade end hooks I bought in 1969! Fantastic Roach hooks.
If that gives you a clue where I come from, well, you are right.
Sithee lad we've long pockets and short arms up here in't pit villages.

D

Dave Rothery

you probably borrowed them from a rich southerner......