Swan....

Shine

Reaction score
rspca.org.uk - Swan caught in fishing litter - News story

Surely this isn't litter. Someone has lost the rig in a snag, line snapped while casting or cut the line when they seen a swan on the end.

Whatever the cause it looks like a semi fix rig that should have come apart with a shake of the swans head.

Maybe the headline should read bad angling by individual and not just litter.

Makes us all look bad :(

jcp01

Reaction score
The public wouldn't have a clue what you were on about Shine. To them, litter it is and I think it is better for us that they believe it to be litter discarded by an irresponsible angler rather than the result of some disastrous (and too common) run in with our white feathered and much loved (not by me) friends. And irresponsible litter lout anglers are certainly not in the small minority - I reckon there are far more litter lout anglers than any of us care to admit if my experience on canals is anything to go by.

And, why is it true that swans cannot see line even in broad daylight and will happily plough on through an entire three rod pod as if it were nor there where ducks have the uncanny ability to recognise and studiously avoid line even in the dark?

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Could have been worse publicity, but I guess he tempered it with the "responsible fishermen" bit just in case he has to visit Stanton Harcourt again and someone shoves him in.

I've rescued swans like that myself, but don't go trumpetting it around. Normally I'd have called out Swan Lifeline who deal with it quietly.

richiekelly

Reaction score
The public wouldn't have a clue what you were on about Shine. To them, litter it is and I think it is better for us that they believe it to be litter discarded by an irresponsible angler rather than the result of some disastrous (and too common) run in with our white feathered and much loved (not by me) friends. And irresponsible litter lout anglers are certainly not in the small minority - I reckon there are far more litter lout anglers than any of us care to admit if my experience on canals is anything to go by.

And, why is it true that swans cannot see line even in broad daylight and will happily plough on through an entire three rod pod as if it were nor there where ducks have the uncanny ability to recognise and studiously avoid line even in the dark?

because swans are so bloody stupid

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score

Totally agree with all of that, deep down I think that the non-litterers are in the minority, and we've all been snapped off from time to time and wildlife can suffer as a result - theres no avoiding it. Obviously fishing with a hooklngth helps, and to be honest I dont get snapped off that often but you see kids fishing with about 15 yards of line left on the reel and you wonder where its all gone - then you trip up over a load of line.

Last edited:

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Swans pick up baits off the bottom we all know that and the truth is there aren't many anglers that havn't at some stage had a run in with either a swan or a duck. What is also a truth is that the media (especially the anti angling media) and the non angling public see this as totally irresponsible and a reason why angling shouldn't be allowed.

In this case the mainline looks to have broken leaving the swan trailing the full end rig around and it looks bad even to we anglers let alone the non anglers. What can be done about it? Get rid of the swans is the best way to avoid it, they are nasty vicious creatures anyway and if you really feel the need to look at swans regularly carry a box of swan vestas matches in your pocket :p

Dave Burr

Reaction score
They certainly are stupid creatures. I was woken most mornings on the Cotswold Water Park lakes by a stuttering 'run' from a bloody swan. One of them, hooked around the foot, flapped for a second or two then calmly allowed be to pull it in backwards and unwrap the line from its leg. It then shook its tail and swam off. It was doubtless the umpteenth time it had gone through this process.

Apparently they don't even taste very nice :rolleyes:

Maybe we should round them all up and send them to live on Paul McCartneys' island.

Only joking, they can't help being thick.:rolleyes:

Frothey

Reaction score
looks like another failed leadcore leader to me ..........................

Failed lead clip more like. Swan doesn't look too bothered though does it?

Probably find it picked the bait up in shallow water. I think trying to argue it was a lost rig rather than litter is grabbing straws a bit though.

Cakey

Reaction score
oh I thought I saw the lead hanging and the rest under it looked kinky like lead core