How good are you

Kevan Martin

Reaction score
Are you any good in the draw bag?. Well there are a couple of lads down my way, while they are good anglers always seem to draw the noted pegs as well. OK take nothing away from them they still have to catch the fish, but if only I could draw like that.....

Myself, I am crap in the hat, if I needed to draw below 15 I would draw 65, I can't really think of a match where I have drawn sock on in the last few years.

Just last month we had a match on a commercial fishery where only 20 fished. The organizer was working out the pegs when I suggested to him to put peg 13 in because it might make peg 14 not quite the out and out flier that it is. His words were "hmmmm, good idea but I am going to feel sorry for the poor b*****d that draws 13". Feeling chuffed with myself about making this suggestion imagine my horror when 13 stuck to my paw, gutted I think.

Even further back this year peg 1 was THE peg to draw on another place. In went the mit and out came 1, at last a good peg. Oh no it wasn't, they had repegged it the previous day and peg 1 was the worst peg on the lake.

It just seems to be my luck, or lack of it, so hows yours?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Every match I fished this year I let somebody else draw for me. As one of the match organisers in most matches I felt that was the fairest thing to do. Most often as well, a different person drew for me each time. Apart from a couple of matches I've had a good year.

Maybe that's what you should do Kevan with your luck at the draw bag!

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
When I used to fish the open circuit around Lancashire / Cheshire we used to fish as a group me and 6 mates share costs and share winnings we used to take it in turns to draw for each other rotating round so you always drew for someone else.

Though I know what you mean Kevan I went thro some terrible draws, sometimes I felt lucky to be facing the water but the one thing I can say is never let a "crap" peg put you off cos the fliers dont always fly and the the dead uns arent always dead, a lot of the problems with drawing "bad" pegs is some people feel defeated before they even get to the peg remain positive and go for the kill. Keep the confidence high and fish like you are on a flier, you do everything right and if the fish are there then you will put em in the net........

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Kevan, my prowess at the draw bag is best described as an anagram of 'carp' as well.
As team captain I even used to let another team member do the draw because my poor drawing abilities were legend.

In individual matches, like Graham, I used to ask a friend of mine to draw on my behalf which usually resulted in a decent peg, instead of the 'toilets' I used to draw. Sadly, most organising clubs in Norway banned this practice after a few years which I thought was a little OTT.

One good angler I knew used to wait for the last peg in the bag every time. In this way he never had to moan as he 'never really drew the peg' did he?

Tex Aitken

Reaction score
me in the draw bag is like trying to win the lottery a waist of space but i still try hoping for a lucky brake

B

Bristol Piker

Having taken part in a Memorial pike match for many years now and always drawn about as far from the car park as possible this year i went prepared complete with brand new barrow. Where did i draw ? Peg 1....so close to the car park that I didnt even have to move the barrow from where it stood. Bloody typical !!