Do you have a "lucky" mascot?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Over the eyars I have met a lot of really good matchmen and women who have a "lucky" macot.
This can be anything from a lucky pair of underpants, to a mate of mine who became morbidly upset when he lost his "lucky rod rest"

So, here is the question:
Do you have a "lucky" talisman or mascot, and if so, what is it?

Kevan Martin

Reaction score
I don't personally have a lucky charm but one of the guys I fish with wears his 'lucky' browning t-shirt for every match. He has one a lot of dough wearing this particular item, but when his missus threw it out because of it being thread bear he lost his rag a bit. Also he has not won a bean since. Very strange.

Tex Aitken

Reaction score
i had a lucky maggot once but it got eaten by a robin and every time a robin perches on my pole i do well

B

Budgie Burgess

Not got a mascot as such but cant get into a match if I havnt sorted all my gear out the day before.This might not sound too unusual but people who know me will tell you my gear never needs sorting!When I was younger this lark verged on obssesive behaviour!I even had to polish up all my rods etc!!!Not so much about tackle preparation I suppose more of a mental preparation.Out of the clubs evening matches I fished this year I was never out of the top three except for one....the one I had decided/was persuaded to fish at the last minute,no preparation (despite all the rigs being on the winders from the previous matchs)no confidence!!!Packed up with the hump half way through!BIZZARE!

W

Wolfman Woody

It occured to me just the other day. I don't have a talisman and the only thing I believe about luck, good or bad, is that sooner or later it comes to an end.

The same goes for celebrations like New Year. The Scots like it and they're welcome to it, but I do normally go out on New Years day to do a bit of fishing. It's normally a waste of time as it's too damned cold, but last year I didn't go for health reasons and this last year has been my most apalling season to date.

Rest assured that this New Year's day coming I will be out there whatever the weather is like, whether I catch or not.

G

Good Old Boy

I have an old bar towel that i have had for years that i use for wiping my hands with it in fact i don't think they brew that beer anymore. Its not a mascot as such just feel more confident when i have it with me. Sad i know but true.

J

jason fisher

don't have a lucky mascot, but i will never use a new rod and reel together, i have to put the new reel on an old rod till i've christened the reel or an old reel on the new rod till i've christened one of them with a fish, then i can use the rod and reel together.
and for many years i didn't take a camera with me because i was convinced that if i had one with me i wouldn't catch.
all this from a completely pragmatic physicist.

T

The Monk

I actually have a Lancashire Treacle Eating Boggart (From the Sabden Treacle Mines)tied onto the middle of me rod pod

S

Shrek

I've got an unlucky mascot !!!

Ever since I bought a Fishing Magic cap from Young Mr Marsden, I haven't caught a fish !!!!!

Anyone want it? Free to a good home, just pay the postage of ?15.

:))

M

michael rouse

I prefer to spod bait than catapult.It catches me fish for some reason.Iv never had a catapult for longer than 4 sessions!They always break!

L

Les Clark

Not a lucky mascot as such,a pair of forceps that escaped being sold years ago when I flogged all my gear(never again)becouse I was hard up.